FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pointing-so whats that all about?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pointing-so whats that all about?
    Posted: 23 Dec 17 at 1:03pm
That sounds pretty short and wide with an aspect ratio of 2.7:1. A high aspect board could have an aspect ratio of 5:1 or greater. High aspect ratio foils stall at a higher speed but generate more lift for less drag when moving fast enough. What that means is that a LA board will work better in a slow boat at sub planing speeds than a HA board. Once the flow over the foil is sufficient a HA foil will be more efficient (think gliders with long narrow, super high aspect wings)
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
jeffers View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 17 at 12:50pm
Pointing is useful sometimes. Off the start line for one or if you have slightly misjudged a mark.

Speed is also good and in some classes you get a better VMG by being a little bit off the wind.

I see this in club racing, my clubmate (who also sails a D-Zero) can always point much higher then me but I always go for speed if I have the room as I feel pointing is slow. Much better to get the foils to work than get that last degree of pointing. It shows in the results (he is usually behind me).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234