FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asymmetric Spinnaker Bowsprit rigging

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asymmetric Spinnaker Bowsprit rigging
    Posted: 21 Dec 17 at 1:49pm
If you pull through a long tail, it won't come undone. I use the same on my main halyard too. 

Here's a video; sorry it's a bit dark. 

Ardea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 17 at 12:51pm
Cheers mozzy,

That's a good bit of info there.  I must admit while I've seen people rigging spinnakers with bobbles, I'd always thought it seems to be asking for the bobble to come undone when not under load, but I guess people wouldn't do it if this was an issue.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 17 at 4:27pm
The other end ties to the plastic insert at the end of pole. 

There's a good chance you didn't know you had one because you don't have one. 

If you have a newer boat it's likely it came fitted with a stopper knot inside the pole (like described above). A lot of older boats have this modification too if you bought second hand. 
tgruitt View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 17 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by JimC

It helps to ensure the bowsprit is pulled all the way back in when the kite is dropped. Its a good thing on the whole, since if the bowsprit is out further that's effectively more weight in the end of the boat.

I didn't even know I was supposed to have one. I see it attached to the sail, where does the other end go?
Needs to sail more...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 17 at 1:21pm
Couple of tips: 
If not using the SRS you can set up the tack very simply and effectively. There is no need for a stopper knot and bowline like seen in the picture you posted, simply push a loop through the eye, then a bobble through the loop like described here for a mainsail. The trick is to pull a lot of tail through with the bobble, so when it pulls tight, the line is pulling the tack straight rather than twisting it. 

Remove the end of your pole feed the tack line through it, then tie a stopper knot. If you're tack line is very thin (3mm) then you may need a bobble here. This knot sits inside the pole, and limits the amount of tack line that can come out, so pulls the pole in when the spinnaker pulls back into the sock. The knot inside the pole needs to be about 20-25cm from the end, you may have to play around with it to get it right. 

Feed the tack down the pole. Depending on when your boat was made you can tie it off in different places. The older boats have an aluminium plate with a loop which works. I've taken this off my boat and it now fixes to the kicker eye. What works really well is having an adjustable splice here. On light wind days you can lengthen the tack a cm or two so that it doesn't foul the end of the pole. 

Then, pay attention to how you tie the head of the kite. You need a stopper knot here, then a bowline which hold the head of the kite 2-3 inches away from the mast. Depending on how raked you sail, and how you like your spinnaker to set you can change how far you have the head sitting off the mast. Further away you have the head from the mast, the more you can 'project' the kite away from the mast, and the further you can float the kite round to windward when aiming for depth in light winds. Tie it too far away from the mast and the kite will start to droop as if not fully hoisted, particularity on reaches, or when windy and sitting out the kite will drop to leeward and will start pulling you sideways more than forward.  

Ardea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 17 at 12:11pm
Thanks.  I'd quite like the SRS system as I sail on a river, but I'm pretty sure all traces have been removed on my boat (certainly on the mast, not certain about the bowsprit).  I've got the boat in the garden at the moment so might look into how the bowsprit is rigged and possibly remove the tack line.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 17 at 9:49am
There's a class rule that the pole can't extend more than 150mm when the kite is down. The line fully retracts the pole as you drop so you won't breach of this rule.

Practically speaking, it just means everyone isn't sailing around with long jousting poles! Having the pole further in means you can get closer mark roundings and ducks to other boats as well, so I'd say it's an advantage to have pole fully retract.  

However: the line gets twisted sometimes and doesn't allow the pole to rotate, so  remove the retrieval line and place a stopper knot in the tack, inside the pole. I think the new boats may come set up like this. 

You want your pole at maximum extension and without the tack of spinnaker catching the pole and twisting in gybes. There's a few a trick to get that spot on. 

"2.5 The sprit shall be retracted so that it’s forward end is within 150mm of the forward most point of the hull at all times other than when the spinnaker is set or in the act of being set or recovered"

There's also a rule that you can't modify whats in the pole and all boats should be able to deploy the SRS by adding a tweaker line, however, on the new boats they don't have any of the gear inside the pole or with the mast.  I've removed all trace of the SRS on my boat, mostly because re rigging after I had to remove the pole once was a faff. The class rule below probably needs deleting. 

"All RS200s shall be capable of deploying the "Square Running System" (SRS) by simply installing a tweaker line and spinnaker halyard as described above, and by carrying/using a booming-out pole (as described in 1.3.23 above). Under no circumstances may the systems internal to the bowsprit be modified."

Edited by mozzy - 20 Dec 17 at 9:57am
Hector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 17 at 1:05am
As Jim says, it's to fully retract the pole.
If you rig the kite , hoist and drop, the pole on a 200 will still be out by around 150mm. You then push the pole all the way back, attach the line to the kite tack 'tightly', and so next time the pole fully retracts. 
As well as keeping weight marginally further aft, it stops the pole catching on other boats as you bear away behind them ;-)
Keith
29er 661 (with my daughters / nephew)
49er 688 (with Phil P)
RS200 968
Vortex (occasionally)
Laser 2049XX
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 17 at 12:39pm
It helps to ensure the bowsprit is pulled all the way back in when the kite is dropped. Its a good thing on the whole, since if the bowsprit is out further that's effectively more weight in the end of the boat.
Ardea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 17 at 12:15pm
http://www.rssailing.org/photos/RS200/PICT0002_p.jpg#

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the purple line in this picture?  I've always attached it to the tack of the spinnaker, but don't really know it's purpose.  Also I'm not sure that all boats have this rope.  
 Post Reply Post Reply