FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kicker angle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kicker angle
    Posted: 24 Nov 17 at 4:28pm
Temple vang, if you have enough room?

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/photos/forum/JackSparrow/2008-09-11_142115_DSCF0105.JPG
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 17 at 10:58pm
I think that Taxi had a system on his Solo with a bar to the mast gate, so that the kicker pulls straight down ... might be worth talking to him.

Or you could talk to Dougal who probably has photos of Barry Dunning’s system on the Merlin “Substitute”.

However you may find that the mast could be bending because of leech tension and downhaul tension, not just due to the thrust of the kicker ... which is why even if I don’t use any kicker on my Solo I can achieve much the same effect by dropping the traveller down and playing the mainsheet.

Edited by davidyacht - 24 Nov 17 at 10:59pm
Happily living in the past
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 17 at 10:30am
Or go sail a 300 and embrace the whole effect 😀
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 17 at 10:08pm
Going back in technology, can you add a mast ram?

Our old Merlin had an alloy rod from the foredeck to the front of the mast at gooseneck height. This pivoted below the foredeck and had a pulley system for adjustment.

Other than that, could you add a dyneema set of lowers?

Colin
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 17 at 10:29pm
I think the H2 Class rules preclude such remedies, certainly lowers are prohibited, mast struts are not specifically allowed which suggests they too are prohibited (and a mast ram, as such, is not appropriate for a deck stepped mast).
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 17 at 12:03pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 17 at 12:43pm
What about a leech tensioner similar to downhaul, but pulling down from end of boom control line fed along boom with outhaul.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 17 at 3:27pm
I assume full centre main, by which mean mainsheet is not only controlled from mid boat but also has multiple purchase to the centre of the boom with nothing to the transom. 

If so how about "helping out" the kicker by using mainsheet tension to control leech tension and have a traveller, either track or rope so that leech tension is still maintained "little or much" depending on the precise arrangement even when the boom is eased out to well out over the quarter.

edit. now noticed, sorry Davidyacht a variation on what you said. As ever in sail controls hardly ever does one control work in isolation or only have one effect. 

Edited by Do Different - 26 Nov 17 at 3:37pm
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 17 at 4:13pm
The potential issue with the H2 set up is that the boom is cranked high and at an angle, so the mainsheet/traveller arrangement is not particularly precise, so I can understand why isolating the kicker to control the leech tension and using the sheet to open and close the barn door makes some sense.

I assume that the benefit of this arrangement is that there is less head banging.

It would be interesting to hear Keith’s interpretation of the class rules as to what is and is not allowed, for instance I cannot quite see where lowers are disallowed, or what different kicker arrangements are legal.
Happily living in the past
Wiclif View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wiclif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 17 at 6:23pm
I wonder if the answer is for your spreaders to be angled forward, perhaps up to 50mm ahead of the stays in a neutral position, with a tight forestay in the medium conditions. And letting it off as the wind comes up? I think an adjustable forestay is one of your controls?

Only answer is to try it and see, and report back!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>