FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter clothing whats best

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter clothing whats best
    Posted: 17 Nov 17 at 7:04am
The really important thing is to make sure that whatever you wear, you don't suffer massive heat loss. Obviously, you also need to be able to move about the dinghy for control.

I've done club rescue duty all year, some people will be fine with 5 capsizes others will ask for help after one, because of heat loss. People and gear vary, so choose gear to match your situation.

Sealskin socks were recommended to me, and they seem to be excellent inside a drysuit as they keep my feet drier and warmer than anything else I've tried.

Colin
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 17 at 7:35am
If you are sailing a very hectic boat, tailor gear to suit, you are going to be generating more body heat.
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 17 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by ColPrice2002

Sealskin socks were recommended to me, and they seem to be excellent inside a drysuit as they keep my feet drier and warmer than anything else I've tried.

Colin
We have not been impressed with Sealskin socks & gloves. I don't doubt they are warm in a dry drysuit, but then so would £5 Ski socks.
Once Sealskinz are wet on the inside, they cease to function.
SWMBO has had 2 pairs of the gloves and they soon wear through.

I have just ordered my winter gloves:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181863600447?var=480915675403

Edited by piglet - 17 Nov 17 at 1:47pm
Eisvogel View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Eisvogel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 17 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by piglet

Putting the boayancy aid INSIDE the Aquafleece makes a big difference

Why is that? Would you not have more (cold) air closer to your body?

Still in two minds whether to just wear rash vest + aquafleece as opposed to drysuit at Draycote tomorrow...
Enterprise 20361 (Eisvogel), Laser 102727 (Halcyon), Laser 121986
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 17 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Eisvogel

Originally posted by piglet

Putting the boayancy aid INSIDE the Aquafleece makes a big difference

Why is that? Would you not have more (cold) air closer to your body?
Still in two minds whether to just wear rash vest + aquafleece as opposed to drysuit at Draycote tomorrow...

I guess the buoyancy aid with its slabs of closed cell foam creates a thick air layer when inside a windproof shell.
Conversely wearing the buoyancy aid outside crushes the windproof shell against you torso thus greatly reducing that air layer.
All to nought when you go swimming though.
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 17 at 4:41pm
Would never ever go sailing with out sealskin socks.
Time Lord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Time Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 17 at 7:08pm
++ for sealskin socks. Would never wear inside a dry suit as they are intended to keep your feet dry and if they get wet inside your DRY suit you have a problem with the suit IMO. Always wear over wetsuit legs and in my dinghy boots. Keeps the feet dry and warm even when paddling around after a whoopsy.
Merlin Rocket 3609
EddyP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EddyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 17 at 9:55am
+++ for SealSkinz as well, I have also started wearing them when I am out running or cycling during the winter. My father passed this onto me earlier, it looks like it has some great Black Friday deals for Musto, which may be of interest https://www.marinesuperstore.com/black-friday

-Ed

Edited by EddyP - 24 Nov 17 at 9:55am
Tynesider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tynesider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 17 at 7:36pm
Hi Folks Well as the old saying goes the proofs in the pudding, Last week I bought a Zhik Superwarm Skiff wet suit but even with a new thermal vest and Spray top I still felt cold.

So returned the wet suit and bought a 'Dry suit' and oh what a difference and much warmer.

Yes I had to buy larger boots to accommodate socks etc but that's not a problem.

One thing I did learn was after trying four makes is that I would never order a dry suit 'on line' as the same size in different makes all felt very different

Thanks for all the advice
Mike

PS Eddy I have been a big fan for many years of Musto gear but IF you buy any Musto gear make sure you can still have it guaranteed as they have now been taken over by Helly Hansen

Edited by Tynesider - 24 Nov 17 at 7:39pm
      Archivist for the
Colvic Watson Owners Group    
Eisvogel View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Eisvogel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 17 at 9:25am
I bought some Sealskinz socks after reading about them here, and they worked fantastically. My feet were still cold (I was doing safety duty, so not moving much), but at least they were mostly dry, and would have been much colder if wet.

I also got the gloves Piglet recommended above -- they kept my hands dry, and reasonably warm, given that I was mostly holding on to a cold metal powerboat steering wheel.

With those two items I feel much more optimistic about going sailing over the coming months without losing any body parts to frostbite.
Enterprise 20361 (Eisvogel), Laser 102727 (Halcyon), Laser 121986
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>