FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Travellers Series...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travellers Series...
    Posted: 10 Nov 17 at 10:20am
I idly looked at the results of the RS200 SE travellers series because we hosted the last one, and was struck by how few boats (4 from I think 95) had actually done enough events (3 from 6) not to count a DNC. Looking at their other series the pattern is much the same (other than SW which had a few more).

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/199506/RS200-Regional-Champions-2017

The much hyped Sailjuice series (4 from 7) is a bit difficult to read, but looks like 48 from 650 which I suppose is marginally better. Its hard, though, to avoid the conclusion that most folks don't care about travellers' series. Back when I was doing winter events regularly, long before any series, I would guess we usually did more than half of the major events anyway, which back then I guess were Grafham, QM, Pompey, Rutland.

So, do travellers' series bring anything to the party for you? Do you make a special attempt to try and get a series in?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 17 at 12:06pm
The problem isn't traveller series, it's series full stop. 

To complete a series you need a very predictable weekly routine. Increasingly this is becoming less and less so; and especially amongst the demographic that makes up the RS200 fleet. More people work weekends, or weekends are more often taken up by other commitments (weddings / stag or hens/ christenings /  birthday parties).  This is especially true of younger people, and the RS200 draws heavily from the uni / post uni demographic / young family. 

The other problem the RS200 class has, is that it also has some very strong local clubs. For many who are strapped for cash it's cheaper to join a strong local club and race against 10-15 boats rather than travel further to race against 20-30.

On the other hand, my impression is that weeknight series do see a regular participation. People are more likely to have a set routine on a weekday that means if they can make one week, they'll likely be able to make the next. I regularly complete a Wednesday evening series. 

In terms of weekend events, both club and open, we are seeing a move away from 'series' to one off events. The RS classes have several on off events like: end of seasons, inlands, nationals, eurocup, sprints, winter champs. 

At our club we turned Saturday racing in to one off 'bottle races' as the series were almost always decided by number of races completed. Classes which have a more predictable turnout can still pull out results to score a series. We also hold sprint racing once a month, which concentrates participation on a specif days to give a better experience. This move seems to have provided more meaningful competition than the old Saturday series did. 
Old Timer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 17 at 12:19pm
Fundamental changes to modern lifestyles as highlighted above simply means that the number of people willing to trail their boat around to sail against others is in heavy decline. Also - some clubs view visitors clogging up the facilities as a nuisance and  add to that all the volunteers you need to find to host an open for a handful of visitors and what have you got?

The national attendance table is great; I wonder what an open meeting attendance table would look like.?
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 17 at 4:04pm
Personally I’ve felt the Sail Juice series has essentially ruined what we’re great stand alone events historically. Maybe it’s been the controversies (little ‘c’) over the years which take the shine off them, but either way none now appeal whereas some of them used to.
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 17 at 5:29pm
personally I’ve felt the Sail Juice series has essentially ruined....

How ?  You can take part in any one, or more, of the events in isolation.  Don't want to take part in a series ? ... well don't  ! no difference to a club series really is it ... you simply do the ones you want to do if you are not bothered about a series. 

The 'great standalone' events are still simply that - except for the series spreadsheet.. but SJ must be doing something right overall as many, if not all, of the events now max out in terms of numbers.

You have choice ... is that not a good thing ?
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 17 at 5:38pm
Maybe inclusion of an open meeting in a travellers series or Sailjuice is sufficient to ensure the quality of the competition is sufficient to get out of bed for ... completion of a travellers series is not that important.

In the past I have noticed that qualifiers tend to come from clubs where there are not strong fleets, so the travellers series is really more of a travelling club.
Happily living in the past
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 17 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

Personally I’ve felt the Sail Juice series has essentially ruined what we’re great stand alone events historically. Maybe it’s been the controversies (little ‘c’) over the years which take the shine off them, but either way none now appeal whereas some of them used to.

Must confess I agree.

I can't put my finger on why, I just dont enjoy them like I used to.
Gfinch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 17 at 10:00pm
The generous sponsorship from Gul helps the N12 traveller series. Every year turnout is high at Burghfield, but there is a big 12 fleet based there. Salcombe is popular and also RHYC can be. We tried new venues like Stokes Bay but didn't get more than 10.

Yet 26 entries last weekend to our inlands and final traveller series at Northampton and the OKs who joined us had similar numbers. Why won't people travel to an open in July but are willing to camp and sail in the cold in November?
3513, 3551 - National 12
136069 - Laser
32541 - Mirror
4501 - Laser 4000
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 17 at 10:13pm
Less going on in November, maybe? Or a greater feeling of camaraderie at such an event? Feels special, maybe?

The "special" feel maybe what starts to go missing when you turn one off winter events into a series? But I guess you gain some who want to be part of that bigger picture.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Simon Lovesey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Simon Lovesey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 17 at 8:52am
Stats from 2016/17 GJW Direct SailJuice Winter Series

All Seven events  - 2 entries
Six or more - 14
Five or more - 28
Four or more (qualified) - 53
Three or more - 79
Two or more - 145

Entries from  89 classes, representing 278 clubs

None of the events are forced to join the Series,  and we have a waiting list  of others wanting to get involved.  The events have seen a growth in profile and numbers over recent years,  even the Bloody Mary was seeing sub 100 boats before SJ.

Even those who cannot afford the time (or expense) of competing in multiple events,  benefit from a rise in quality for individual events,  and can contribute to awards such as Top Class and Top Club rankings
www.sailracer.org
Online Sailing Results, GPS Tracking & Event Management
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>