FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Travellers Series...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Cirrus View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travellers Series...
    Posted: 13 Nov 17 at 12:16pm
The bottom line on all this is some enjoy and will travel to 'away' events and some do not.   It is their choice but if they are not 'into it' boring the pants off the rest of us with justifications either personally related or 'general' as to why they don't want get out more often, or at all, is simply dull.  Of course it was ever thus ....

Nothing wrong with club racing - if you prefer.

Now it does not matter if you are talking about handicap events or 'purist' single class ones seemingly.  However there does seem to be real positive growth in multi-class handicap events and a relative decline in the single class ones and regular club racing.   Can only be bacause they are increasingly more attractive to the competitors and host clubs or they are just better marketed.

turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 17 at 11:25pm
Or it’s the natural effects of a consolidated market ... when travelling to get your fix is your thing (some do, some don’t... good analysis btw, but I’d add ‘keenies’ of less popular classes have traditionally been prepared to earn their class racing with more miles), I do wonder how long the reality of handicap racing will hold that interest...??!   The glee of ‘better marketed’ handicap events might just be small battle victories in a losing war perhaps?
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 17 at 11:52pm
I do wonder how long the reality of handicap racing will hold that interest...??!

Not the point though.  It is not a mutually exclusive decision..... many/most of us will be doing our own class events as well ...major Opens, Inlands and Nationals.   Handicap racing is hardly new or novel in the 'mix' and has already been around for a long long time   ..... But I guess there will always be those who only need or seek the challenge, 'excitement' and regularity of the Oh so predictable local pecking order on that stunning local water seeing the same old faces each and every time ... next Sunday and the following Sunday after that and the one that follows ad infinitum ...

Still there is always the keyboard one-design class for a bit of variety .... or mowing the grass.   LOL

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 9:47am
Mutual exclusivity is interesting.  

I know of several classes which have used the SJ series, or a picked a few of them, to act as their 'Winter Series'.... I'm not suggesting this is either right or wrong, or positive or negative; (opinion on this is rather moot),  but it is symptomatic of consolidation where stand alone, or shared class racing regattas, are not sustainable for some classes.  

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 10:12am
Originally posted by turnturtle

symptomatic of consolidation where stand alone, or shared class racing regattas, are not sustainable for some classes.

Oh nonsense. Class events have never been held over the winter.
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 10:18am

Exactly ....
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 11:16am
I'm trying to actually quantify why it is that i don't travel, it's been three years as my facebook page reminded me today since that FOM. I had promised myself I'd do the Solution Nationals, but a wedding came along to scotch that, then I thought maybe this year I'll do one of those SJ events, then this gap came about between my regular sailing and now.

Then there's the question of the plug having come off the trailer board and not sure if I have the right number plate, and the difficulty getting number plates for trailer boards these days, then there's the sail it's a bit knackered to take on big water areas, then there's the 'who else is going I might know' question, not that that worries me particularly, I've never been short of the ability to make new friends, but it helps just dragging boats about here and there, so travelling as a pair is always easier than going single.

So I'm going to suggest that might be part of the reason, the trend away from double handers probably reduces the numbers that travel, it is more hassle travelling as Billy No Mate and even if two of you travel in cars side by side, it's not the same.
Then there is also the question of being asked and what is exactly the upside, what's to be gained? Time was, it would be experience, but at our age are we really so devoid of experience we want to endure the M20/M26/M25 <insert appropriate Mway>/Eastern European TIR sideswipe experience for pleasure?
So it gets to the point there are more reasons not to go than there are in favour, so it's easier to find further excuses to back the decision to stay put and get in the line up to do battle once more with the Miracle Mums and Mirror embryos down the puddle.

Edited by iGRF - 14 Nov 17 at 11:24am

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Cirrus

Exactly ....

so you guys are seriously suggesting that some classes don't utilise these events as part of their winter programme???

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/175306/RS200-Winter-Warm-Up

https://www.d-zerosailing.org/d-zero-winter-series-20172018/

http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=forum&fid=7&tid=7527

all a bit different from the Solo Super Series which runs through the winter:

https://www.solosailing.org.uk/event-series/super-series/2017/

or some of the larger winter champs in classes like the Laser or Merlin Rocket.

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 12:04pm
"Next up in the UK this Winter is the RS Aero Winter Series which will be up to 10 events chosen from some of the most popular mixed class winter events, spread around the country and starting with the Brass Monkey at Yorkshire Dales SC on 27th December."

from a front page article.....  
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 1:01pm
I think the point is that because there are a series of events some classes have chosen to run a winter series off the back of them. This is what the D-Zero class has done and continues to do.

If there were not these big events it is unlikely we would run anything.

As a side note anyone know if the Steve Nicks is happening in 2018? Still nothing on their website about it.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>