FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ISAF Anti monopoly regs coming?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 17 at 5:43pm
http://www.kirbytorch.com/
A2Z View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 17 at 7:16pm
But surely copyrighting the construction manual doesn't stop someone making a boat they same way, if they've read the manual.  My mum makes a lovely chocolate cake straight from a Delia Smith copyrighted book.  
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 17 at 7:19pm
Last news update 2013.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Topper 44496, Minisail 3131, Minisail 3446
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 17 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by iiiiticki

I thought Bruce Kirby was dead?

I don't think so!
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Topper 44496, Minisail 3131, Minisail 3446
A2Z View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 17 at 7:54pm
In many respects a Class Association is nothing more than a fan club or a classic car owners club.  Indeed the Merlin Rocket calls itself an Owner's Club rather an a Class Association.  In that sense it is solely up to the club members to decide who is eligible to be a member it is quite feasible to start an association that allows genuine Lasers, fake Lasers, Solos, Supernovas and Aeros to join.  In fact, given that they have so much in common such an association would be no bad thing in unifying the sport.  So you could, in theory, attempt a (hostile) takeover of many class associations under the guise of a unifying umbrella.  What I am not clear about is whether members of such an association have a *right* to be able to host/enter competitions held under RRS.  Do the RYA or WS have to power to stop an association using the rules?
423zero View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 17 at 8:05pm
Perhaps we should strike a blow for fair play and join the association, it says it's free.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 17 at 8:30pm
I have to say I'm tempted, and I don't sail a "L@ser/Torch"  Clap
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Supernova 395 "dolly the sheep" (now sold but considering a second (mk3) Blaze as her replacement)
bustinben View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 8:21am
Originally posted by A2Z

But surely copyrighting the construction manual doesn't stop someone making a boat they same way, if they've read the manual.  My mum makes a lovely chocolate cake straight from a Delia Smith copyrighted book.  

It can go some way to stopping it... The class rules say the boat has to be built according to the construction manual, and if you're licensed the construction manual the terms of that license could include confidentiality (you can't show it to somebody else) and restrict the ability to copy parts or the manual as a whole.

That way, the only people who get to see the manual are the ones you've licensed it to.  Nobody other than them will have been able to read the manual.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 9:03am
So have LDCA changed the rules to remove the requirement that Lasers be built according to the construction manual?
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Supernova 395 "dolly the sheep" (now sold but considering a second (mk3) Blaze as her replacement)
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 17 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

So have LDCA changed the rules to remove the requirement that Lasers be built according to the construction manual?

No but they have removed the requirement for Bruce Kirbys name to appear on the plaques.

Interesting to see JimCs thread on the Sunfish, seems LP are doing the same with that as they did with the Laser.
Paul
---------------------------
D-Zero GBR188
Ex Rooster 8.1 '11'
Ex Laser 167534
Ex Blaze 655
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>