FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RYA New Articles of Association - ?significant ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RYA New Articles of Association - ?significant ?
    Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 11:10am
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/198571/RYA-seeks-approval-of-new-Articles-of-Association

It surprises me that this isn't bigger news, but I suppose its mainly management speak and administration...

But if I understand all this properly the RYA is being effectively forced to fundamentally change the way it works, from being a vaguely democratic institution led by its "Council" (a sort of parliament, and quite a large body consisting of elected rep, regional heads, special interest reps and executives) to a structure where its led by a handful of executives.

I feel distinctly uncomfortable about the whole thing, although I don't know much about this stuff, and not sure how much I really care. The press release bothers me because it seems so full of weasel words and management speak, but the trouble is anyone in PR seems to be trained to speak like that.

- this is the council membership

http://www.rya.org.uk/about-us/governance/Pages/council.aspx

Edited by JimC - 20 Oct 17 at 11:11am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 12:07pm
If it's the same as cycling then they have to make the change to fall into line with tge government code of conduct or have funding cut.

Cycling couldn't afford not to make the change. I didn't know enough about the workings to understand how significant a change it was.
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 12:17pm
"Three "Independent Directors" will be appointed by the Board".

Give them credit, they used quotation marks.
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
zippyRN View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Chris 249

"Three "Independent Directors" will be appointed by the Board".

Give them credit, they used quotation marks.

and the NEDs on  company boards are  appointed by the boards  , although usually with some  semblance of shareholder oversight 

2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 1:12pm
I'm sure this is significant; it is just we cant tell yet and it is too late anyway ...

zippyRN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 1:23pm
so 

Chair 

2 * Execs  ch exec + finance 

3 NEDs  appointed by board / RYA 
3 NEDs appointed by the membership 

not  quite the   horror presented by some 

Edited by zippyRN - 20 Oct 17 at 1:25pm
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 17 at 11:38am
Yes, but the idea of people selecting "independents" is rather amusing. 
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 17 at 11:55am
I think there are a couple of points that are a little disquieting.

Article 5 changes from: Members may direct the Board to take, or refrain from taking, specified action

to: Members may not direct the Board to take, or refrain from taking, specified action.

And

Article 20: Threshold for Members request for general meeting is 50 individual Members or 10 organisation Members.

Changes to
Threshold for Members request for general meeting is 1,000* individual Members or 100 organisation Members.
* <1% of current individual membership

I can't quite see how that entirely sits with

What won’t change:
• The RYA’s status as a membership organisation to protect and promote boating
• An Association that combines a small, professional staff team with a large number of active volunteers
• The ability of all members to influence policy and to engage with the RYA in a way that is relevant and tailored to them

It seems to be to be getting a lot less democratic rather than more so, then hardly surprising the way things are these days.

Edited by iGRF - 23 Oct 17 at 11:58am
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 17 at 2:37pm
Guess it will be less of a members organisation and more like the AA
Happily living in the past
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 17 at 3:31pm
How is Alcoholics Anonymous these days? ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>