FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changing boat with current insurer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jamie600 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing boat with current insurer
    Posted: 14 Oct 17 at 10:46am
I picked up a Topper last night for the boy, to replace his Oppy.

The Oppy is still insured but by the time I had done the deal, the insurer had closed for the weekend.

What normally happens with regard to insurance? As far as I can remember I've always bought boats on a Sunday so have not sailed til the following weekend, giving time to sort the insurance during the week.

I can email the insurer to tell them of the change but I assume it wouldn't be officially insured until I speak to them on Monday, meaning no sailing this weekend. He'll be gutted!

Has anyone had this situation before, is it acceptable to send the email so they are 'on notice'? If the worse happens and he has an accident at the weekend, I can see the insurers not paying out.

RS600 1001
porkyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote porkyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 17 at 5:58pm
Buy a new policy on line today, and then cancell the old policy on monday
porkyman
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 17 at 6:53pm
As above. Most insurers can insure a boat on line these days. I use GJW, takes 2 minutes.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Eisvogel View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Eisvogel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 17 at 9:12am
I called my insurer beforehand, as I wasn't sure whether I was going to actually buy the boat I didn't want to insure it in advance, so they advised me they'd insure it, and if I didn't buy it I should tell them on the Monday and they would just cancel it without problems.

Enterprise 20361 (Eisvogel), Laser 102727 (Halcyon), Laser 121986
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 17 at 9:43am
Good service! Who was it?

Edited by Rupert - 16 Oct 17 at 9:43am
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 17 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Eisvogel

I called my insurer beforehand, as I wasn't sure whether I was going to actually buy the boat I didn't want to insure it in advance, so they advised me they'd insure it, and if I didn't buy it I should tell them on the Monday and they would just cancel it without problems.

I tried doing that last time but mine were not as flexible, I could either insure it in advance, or not. This time, I have taken a six month policy on the topper which runs up to the end date of the current policy which covers both the 600 and the oppy, so that the oppy is still covered while it's for sale
RS600 1001
Eisvogel View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Eisvogel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 17 at 9:34am
Noble Marine.Very happy with them.
Enterprise 20361 (Eisvogel), Laser 102727 (Halcyon), Laser 121986
 Post Reply Post Reply