FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gybing Centreboards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chris 249 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gybing Centreboards
    Posted: 05 Oct 17 at 5:05am
Originally posted by Dougaldog

All,

This is nearly associated with 'that' other thread running elsewhere on the forum - but isn't quite.

So...gybing centreboards. How far back to they go and when did they first come into practical use (as against just the theory behind their operation)

D
The theory was expounded in 1928 by Manfred Curry.

sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 17 at 5:07am
Originally posted by Dougaldog

All,

This is nearly associated with 'that' other thread running elsewhere on the forum - but isn't quite.

So...gybing centreboards. How far back to they go and when did they first come into practical use (as against just the theory behind their operation)

D
A sketch and theory was propounded by Curry in 1928

sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
Mike Holt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike Holt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 17 at 7:12pm
There is no question that in a dinghy, used and installed correctly they work.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 17 at 10:22pm
Mike, clearly you've made it work for you in the 5 'o', but I'm interested to know if there are either conditions, or boats where you don't think it works?
OK 2129
RS200 411
Mike Holt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mike Holt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 17 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by craiggo

Mike, clearly you've made it work for you in the 5 'o', but I'm interested to know if there are either conditions, or boats where you don't think it works?

That is a great question and I had to have a good think about it. So, where and how it works in my boat and where it doesn't. First off a description, we use a Waterat made High Aspect gybing foil, I believe 1.5 degrees of gybe. It always gybes unless we use a gybe stop, a simple "V" that is inserted over the beak of the board to stop the gybe. We use this very rarely.

Where its value is marginal is when it is windy and lumpy and flow is not consistent, then it feels a little draggy. Any other time I think that we are getting value. However the control we have over the rig in a 5O5 means that we are sailing with very close to optimal power from 8 knots to 20 knots of breeze. Above that it probably has no value.

So, my guess would be that boats that are quickly over powered, such as iGRF says of boards would have a limited time it adds value. 

Hope that makes sense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12