FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy singlehander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
rich96 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy singlehander
    Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 5:16pm
Finn will be way more suitable

Much more comfortable, easier on the knees, a joy to sail in all winds, rigs to suit your ability/physique, easier to tack (boom just rises up and lots of cockpit depth) etc etc etc

I've had both and enjoyed them both but would strongly suggest the Finn for you

They rarely capsize
Tynesider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tynesider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 17 at 9:49pm
Hi ever considered a Hartley 12 they are classed as 3 persons but two is much better, if you get the main with vertical battens you can reef it by rotating the mast if needed, also comes with head sail, faster than you may think and very safe.
      Archivist for the
Colvic Watson Owners Group    
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 17 at 8:53am
If your budget wont stretch to Finn money what about a Laser with a Rooster 8.1 rig ?

They are not great but are cheap and fun. Same handicap as a Finn

Shame that Rooster didn't push it as a class or organise anything but the occasional mickey mouse river event

snowleopard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 17 at 9:57am
Love the laser and in most winds the standard rig is fine. As I said in the OP, my problem is getting under the boom as my knees get older.

One hull good, two hulls better.
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 17 at 10:50am
Got to be the Finn then

Classic Finn with modern rig on Apollo Duck for just over 2K OR more recent one for 3.5 ?

OR buy a newer boat which will hold its value.

Whilst the initial outlay is a lot they hold their value really well

Always lots of 2nd hand bits around if you want to upgrade

Take the plunge - you will get addicted.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 17 at 12:04pm
Tynesider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tynesider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 17 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by snowleopard

Love the laser and in most winds the standard rig is fine. As I said in the OP, my problem is getting under the boom as my knees get older.

I know the problem of the old knees only too well and the bloody boom, I used to sail a Topper Topaz Uno but changed to a Hartley 12 (custom rigged) which has a slightly higher boom and is slightly wider than the Topaz hence giving more room to spread the old legs out, suggest try one if you can you might be in for a pleasant surprise

Edited by Tynesider - 05 Oct 17 at 4:14pm
      Archivist for the
Colvic Watson Owners Group    
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 17 at 4:48pm
Interesting point there. Most modern dinghies have a wide scoop and narrow side decks so that in a light wind with a heavy crew one is forced to perch somewhere in the middle which is very hard on old knees. I was once forced to spend a day sailing a Pico and it was torture. I was far too heavy to sit on the edge so had to kneel in the middle and lean. 

The Laser 1 is good in that regard, as is the classic Finn hull
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 17 at 10:47am
Originally posted by snowleopard

Originally posted by iGRF

big old rig, that Finn sail is probably two thirds the size. 

A bit unfair...
Finn 10.6 sq m
Phantom 9.75 sq m
Next question, which is more likely to give me a swim? In my laser days I only ever capsized through losing my grip on the sheet and being dumped to windward.

Hi Snowleopard,

I recognise you from th YBW forums. Finn and Phantom are the boats to consider. Phantom sail is closer to 11m in reality. I sail one myself at 15.5 stones. Old Phantoms don’t have double skinned floors so have a deep cockpit, but come with lots of other compromises due to non-epoxy construction. You can get a modern deep cockpit from JJ boats, but few around so much harder to find. Much faster than a Finn, but by all accounts Finns are also lovely to sail. Best to try both out and see what suits best.

If you don’t want to race that much then a megabyte is another option.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote snowleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 17 at 11:42am
Megabyte looks a good option but they seem to be rare this side of the Atlantic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>