FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Campaigning with electric cars.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 31>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Campaigning with electric cars.
    Posted: 03 Oct 17 at 10:06pm
So now we reach the nub of the problem...... Global warming is entirely the fault of 432zero's strawberry fetish  Angry
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 17 at 10:24pm
Whilst eating a green (native, grown in summer outside) dish of Strawberries (local) with 'Kellys of Cornwall' (transported a couple of hundred miles) vanilla (gulp, thousands of miles) ice cream.
I am looking at the new 'Tesla' 3, which will compete with BMW 3 series and Mercedes C class, looks promising, massively over-subscribed, state they are trying to un-sell it ?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 17 at 10:42pm
Are those the ultimate 'green credentials' electric car, local seasonal fruit and local ice-cream? Well I guess I could live with it if the strawberries and ice-cream didn't cost more than my boat  Wink

Actually I'm a "local ale" man myself......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 17 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by 2547

Originally posted by Jack Sparrow

Err... whilst you can make that argument from data, The old adage of: lies, damned lies, and statistics, rings quite true with that satement. In todays economic system where the production of a 'thing' - means parts can be made in several locations around the globe, brought together in the assembly location and then again distributed around the world to sell in different markets means it is very cost effective, due to containerisation and the effective slave labour in unregulated countries. But it is at the cost of enormous pollution. If you made the 'thing' in the country of sale it would be far less polluting but far more expensive, at least in the northern hemisphere. Its the same concept as 'Air Miles' when you are shopping for veg in the supermarket. Combine that with the 'thing' being made of polluting materials, which then gets packed up into containers as waste and sent to another unregulated location to be dismantled on container ships. Leaves you with a massive pollution problem associated with container ships and the plastic crap they punt around the world. Turn these container ships Green with hydrogen cell engines and you have significantly reduce the Co2 pumped into the atmosphere. It might be cost effective economically but not ecologically. Simple, to be frank.

Didn't you ship a boat all the way from NZ when we have many in the U.K., even if you did want a Farr 3.7 why not build one locally as you suggest than contributing to all that pollution getting one containered from NZ?

Simple to be frank. 

Yes I did ship my boat from NZ.

And what I said was 'think about it'... because I guess a lot of people would not realise the pollution Container Ships kick out. I then explained that Hydrogen Fuel Cells would be a practical way to reduce the pollution from Container ships.

TBF you then pitched in 'all chippy like'.

As for my carbon foot print related to my shipping my Farr 3.7... I think I've got some of that in the bank, as I've had the highest insulated home running Solar Thermal and Solar Photovoltaic Cells running an electric house, with the highest mpg cars for over 20 years.
Phil_1193 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil_1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 17 at 2:28pm
Towing distance problem with an electric car is simple!

Look at a caravan, massive chassis with loads of space. Fill that with batteries, than plug it into the car as a 'booster pack'. When you get to the field and start pooing in a bucket, most sites have electric hook up so you can leave it to charge over the course of your few days/ weeks that you are there, wouldn't even need to be a fast charger if you are there for more than 24hrs.

No need for motors or anything in the caravan as it just becomes a towable battery unit.

Base of a caravan is 2-3 times the size of the average car towing it, so your 300 mile range Tesla Model X could be on for 700-900 miles quite easily on one charge?

Now look at the space on the averave combi boat trailer, ok its only about 50mm deep and triangular shaped but sure you could get a decent battery pack in there. Just need a hook up where the trailers are stored during the event to charge it

ttc546 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ttc546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 17 at 2:35pm
Dont think you understand the towing weight limits currently imposed for car/caravan combinations and the danger if even 1 extra battery may have... 😁
Phil_1193 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil_1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 17 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by ttc546

Dont think you understand the towing weight limits currently imposed for car/caravan combinations and the danger if even 1 extra battery may have... 😁

Perfectly understand it.

The avrage 5-6m caravan weighs circa 1200kg.

The avarage Tesla Model X weighs 2500kg.

Working on the 85% guideline thats easily a few hundred Kg of battery as long as its unifomly distributed

Based on the average dinghy at 150kg with road trailer and crap at best 500kg, thats plenty of scope for batteries in a trailer

Of course the X would need type approval for towing.

BUT get a LandRover they are rated to tow 3500kg, hydrolic link the brakes and its 4000kg, thats alot of caravan and batteries.

Obviously if the caravan was designed to be a mobile battery pack you could make the thing lighter in the first place. Carbonfibre kittchen units and doors?
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 17 at 4:45pm
And the additional load on the towing vehicle from lugging all the dead weight around? Not forgetting that caravans and boats on trailers generally have the aerodynamics of bricks. And the impossibility of manual handling something of that weight. Tesla's X is approved for towing, I believe, but the S isn't. Whether the 3 will be I don't know.
Nick
D-Zero 316

423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 17 at 4:54pm
I have a remote control motor mover on my caravan, so extra weight wouldn't be an issue.
Battery would be enough to counter extra weight and drag of caravan.
Ardea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 17 at 9:11am
Towing still doesn't seem to be designed into electric cars, but there seem to be people out there who will fit tow hooks.  Seems to be mainly in the US where the powers that be seem far less invested in the maintenance of your vehicle.  Really not sure where that leaves us in the UK.  I'd love to have a leaf with a towbar.  Would be fine for 99% of the driving I do and, with a little planing, would allow for me to do some area traveller events.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 31>