FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Campaigning with electric cars.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 31>
Author
johnr View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote johnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Campaigning with electric cars.
    Posted: 06 Dec 17 at 9:20am
There is a Canadian woman who wrote about how our modern capitalist societies and the planet are incompatible. Basically we have a system geared to more people and more consumption as pretty much the only model of success and people believe growth is essential and all companies are geared to this model. Pretty much all environmental issues are the polar opposite i.e. less consumption, less people and so on. The Plastic in oceans is a obvious debate that has relevance to this argument. So whilst technology can alleviate some issues the fundamental market forces and population growth are a fundamental challenge to any efforts. China is starting to come out of its dirty period as they have realised the damage they are doing. Imagine if the entire continent of Africa suddenly started to be run efficiently and went on the China model of growth.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 17 at 10:49am
Economists have this blinkered view that growth is the be all and end all... clearly madness of the highest order  Dead
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 17 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by johnr

Imagine if the entire continent of Africa suddenly started to be run efficiently and went on the China model of growth.

Q:  Where is the capital of Zimbabwe?
A: In a Swiss Bank Account

Edited by turnturtle - 06 Dec 17 at 1:06pm
Old Timer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 17 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

Q:  Where is the capital of Zimbabwe?
A: In a Swiss Bank Account

LOL ... and most of the wealth created in the UK ...
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 18 at 7:16pm
Surprise results regarding electric car sales, proves all the talking up is bull.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/ev-sales-drop-33-7-172324193.html
Eisvogel View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Eisvogel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 18 at 9:01am
But there are good reasons for that, as given in the article. I'm not getting one because I think the technology will change a lot once they are more widely adopted, and then you're stuck with an outdated model that isn't as good as the then current ones and probably was a lot more expensive.

Instead of wasting billions on Hinckley, Trident,  and HS2, imagine the government had put them into building up an infrastructure supporting electric cars (with renewable energy), and given incentives to switch from polluting diesel and petrol cars.
Enterprise 20361 (Eisvogel), Laser 102727 (Halcyon), Laser 121986
chris_wht View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote chris_wht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 18 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Eisvogel

Instead of wasting billions on Hinckley,

hinckley might be quite useful for electricity mind

Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 18 at 11:46am
I strongly suspect that my next car will be electric. I *want* and electric car, but the numbers also have to add up, so it needs;
1. 300m range
b. Ability to tow

Teslas already do this, but they're out of my price range.
I may well look at a plug in hybrid, possibly a second hand Vauxhall Ampera, but sadly towing is out on this.

For me, this is where leasing type deals make sense, in that I can hire or buy an electric car for a specific period, then upgrade as/when newer, more impressive models are released, just like virtually everyone does with their iPhones.
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 18 at 12:51pm
I think you're right about the leading model boots. With the battery issue you wouldn't want an older car really, even if you can swap them in and out, or at least it would be possibly more attractive to change the whole car at once rather than the batteries.
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 18 at 12:52pm
Oh and do you realise where you've moved to boots? There's blooming great hills, no infrastructure of any type, etc. Your electric car range will probably drop to 50 miles.
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 31>