2 [3.77%]
3 [5.66%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Club starts an Adopted Classes Only Policy
    Posted: 18 Oct 17 at 10:42am
If it were like some club Enterprises I've seen they might have been grateful for an excuse to scrap it...

Edited by JimC - 18 Oct 17 at 10:42am
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 17 at 4:57pm
Enterprise in good order, had new sails this year.
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 17 at 9:03am
I have to say that's remarkably generous. And while I'd be keen to encourage anyone new to sailing I'm not sure I'd have voted for that approach had I been on the committee - though of course I don't know the full circumstances!
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 17 at 9:07am
Did the club treat it as a 'racing incident' and claim under their own insurance?
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 17 at 10:00am
No, it was all very pleasant and encouraging, he was devastated, never Imagined you could do this much damage, worried that he could have injured someone.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 17 at 10:30am
What, so a beginner crashed in to a club boat, almost righting it off? 

Maybe claiming off the clubs own insurance for the Ent seems nicer than apportioning blame to the beginner and asking for his insurance details. However, having said that, surely cheerfully explaining that mistakes happen, we've all been there and it's the reason we all have insurance would have been better? 

If your club made a claim on their own insurance, without letting the insurance company know that a third party was at fault (or even involved?), then that's a bit naughty too.  

If the club just paid for it out of club money, then it seems kind of odd too. If the beginner knows his mistake has led to club funds being used to repair a boat he damaged then that is going to make him feel mighty awkward, no matter how nicely you insist. It might also make other members feel aggrieved as their subs money is being used to pay for repairs which should be claimable. 

Maybe there is something more to it, but either option seems a bit off, just to avoid the awkwardness of asking for the chaps insurance details. If the beginner felt really bad, then I'm sure he would have felt better if he was given opportunity to make amends by claiming on the insurance he has already paid for; I know I would. It's no big deal, that's just why we all have insurance. 

Edited by mozzy - 19 Oct 17 at 11:51am
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 17 at 1:15pm
I wasn't privy to the decision making, however I agree with the decision taken.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617