2 [3.77%]
3 [5.66%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
davidyacht View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Club starts an Adopted Classes Only Policy
    Posted: 12 Oct 17 at 6:52pm
when club’s were more locked into adopted classes, different clubs in the locale would have a different mix of adopted classes, therefore presented a different offer.  Not sure how this influences the argument. 

I suspect that small puddle clubs have a higher percentage of activity than the megaclubs.

The key issue whether in an adopted class, a handicap fleet or a club is to create a comraderie and sense of belonging that encourages regular involvent both in the short term and the long term.
Happily living in the past
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 17 at 8:02am
I'm not very inclined to tell others what they would be better off doing and should do but davidyacht your summary of yesterday works for me.
Handshake Beer
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 17 at 9:42am
The key issue whether in an adopted class, a handicap fleet or a club is to create a comraderie and sense of belonging that encourages regular involvent both in the short term and the long term.

Yes.  Any racing format can work, the key to sustaining numbers however has a lot more to do with the social aspects of clubs and not just their racing organisation.  Get the social side right with members and the racing will generally sort itself out.   3/4 of club members are not really 'every weekend' racers are they ?   If you ignore the social aspects you will lose them from potentially becomming regular racers at some future points, if that is your objective.  You can also lose them from club membership itself.

'Back in the day' .. lots of things were different.   But to 99% focus on racing organisation in many clubs, as perhaps inevitably on this forum, is a more common fact today.   It is not likely in isolation to provide any sort of solution to declining numbers.  New racers disproportionally come from the 'occasionals'  ... but you have to make membership enjoyable in order to keep them first!       

Edited by Cirrus - 13 Oct 17 at 9:46am
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 17 at 9:59am
Last 3 posts well balanced moderate positive, couldn't agree more.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 17 at 10:02am
Completely agree. Sometimes basic inclusiveness can be forgotten. I know from being class captain that talking to everyone off the water, sharing a drink and being open about club activities did far more for attendance than format. 

But we can get all that right and still have the debate whether adopted classes are positive or negative. 
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 17 at 10:25am
Class racing elitism rearing it's undemocratic dictatorial head again.

What a load of nonsense - you are responding to two posts suggesting that there are places where there are a number of small (probably barely viable clubs) and that fewer bigger ones might be able to cater better for all sailors - bigger fleets (class or handicap) and better facilities.

No one suggested forceably shutting any of them, or forcing everyone to only sail in class fleets, yet you respond with a Faragesque rant that people who like class racing are "dictatorial and undemocratic". 

There is room for all sorts of sailing. There's even room for clubs that choose to have specified classes policies if they wish - it would surely be "dictatorial and undemocratic" to suggest there isn't even if it's something few here would support?
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 17 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Getafix and TT,
What a depressing view point, Mega-clubs stifle individualism, their are problems at my small club on a small lake, but it's worth fighting for.
I have a number of non-conforming boats, large clubs would probably not welcome.
Class racing elitism rearing it's undemocratic dictatorial head again.

missed the point and no idea why you think:

• better facilities from more pooled resources
  • racing for OD and handicap and beginners at the same club
  • and the 'what class to sail debate' being not the deciding factor

... was in any way 'depressing' .

If you think that everyone sticking to their end of the pier, prom or lake and carrying on with the fractured, poorly co-ordinated and often hard-to-access nature of our sport now is the way forward, I'd find that quite depressing.

turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 17 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by getafix

If you think that everyone sticking to their end of the pier, prom or lake and carrying on with the fractured, poorly co-ordinated and often hard-to-access nature of our sport now is the way forward, I'd find that quite depressing.

quite - not one club locally with a small but sustainable fleet of finns or phantoms.... so inevitably I'm forced to choose between a) a Laser  or Solo (for fleet racing) b) a mishmash cruise in company with 49ers and Teras in a boat of my choosing or c) something else entirely.

2016 and 2017 have been c - for various reasons not down to just the choice of fleet racing.  But I'm not going to let that happen for 2018!!!
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 17 at 8:38am
Originally posted by davidyacht

I suspect that small puddle clubs have a higher percentage of activity than the megaclubs.

Indeed - our little puddle in the Cotswold's had 22 boats out in the handicap fleet this Sunday for two races. Less than a minute separated the top four in each race and it was close throughout the fleet. I used to be a member of a megaclub years ago and hated it!
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 17 at 10:12am
Tried Bartley Green, no atmosphere, didn't look forward all week to going there like I do at my present club.
Sailing friend of mine been a member there for 10 years and only knows a handful of members.
Can't speak for other large clubs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>