2 [3.77%]
3 [5.66%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Club starts an Adopted Classes Only Policy
    Posted: 24 Sep 17 at 2:38pm
Just a thought. Your club starts an adopted only classes policy, and the list is:
Laser
Laser Radial
Solo
RS400
RS200
(5 most popular classes in the PY list)

I've left youth classes out of this for simplicity.

What would you do?

Edited by JimC - 24 Sep 17 at 2:40pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 17 at 2:54pm
I've created a matching poll about whether an adopted classes only policy would influence your choice of club, but the number of variables in choice of club are so large its hard to get a good question set.

Edited by JimC - 24 Sep 17 at 4:00pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 17 at 3:43pm
I choose the class(es) I sail first and would only consider joining a club with a adopted class policy if I already sailed or wanted to sail one of those classes, the choice of boat would come first (and none on the list are classes I would choose to sail except, possibly, the Solo).

A couple of clubs local to me used to have such a policy but both now have a handicap fleet. 

I'm not sufficiently attracted to any of the classes with fleet racing locally to choose to sail one and choice of club, for me, mostly depends on other factors.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 17 at 3:51pm
Leave. Simple.  Smile And this from a person whos second boat is a laser. 

Edited by zeon - 24 Sep 17 at 3:52pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 17 at 3:57pm
Minisprint
Enterprise
Mirror
Tinker Traveller
Handicap club only
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 17 at 5:09pm
The first club I joined in the early 70s on the Thames had a length limit of 14ft, so it sort of did the same thing all Ents, Merlins, Fireflies. They lifted the limit and now and the dinghy park is full of Wayferers. Almost a one design club.
drifter View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 17 at 6:37pm
Does this forum work for anyone on Firefox?

Anyway on topic. Must be a twohanded class for non-spinnaker boats. Grad, Ent or Albacore I'd say. 
Stewart
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 17 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by zeon

Leave. Simple.  Smile And this from a person whos second boat is a laser. 

Ditto. TBH if our Club tried to adopt such a policy it would be curtains I am sure.

Cracking sailing today. Warm, sunny and a steady wind. Regular series pursuit race which included a smattering of the following: - Comet, Lightning, British Moth, Enterprise, Nat 12, Supernova, Aero 7 and K1. (No Lasers today) Fascinating race to sail and the spectators were totally engrossed. All sailors happy with their chosen boat regardless of the final outcome and I don't believe final results were PY influenced.

Personally I want to compete against all of the sailors on the water and I would want them all to be in boats they want to sail
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 17 at 7:29pm
I put 'other'.
I have been a member of more than one club at a time before, and I'd do it again.

I'd also consider having one boat at a club and another for circuit/winter series elsewhere/odd events.
If I was younger and had more commitment, this would be a likely option.
As it happens both my current boats are on the list, but getting class racing in the Laser and enjoyable, 'don't worry about the spreadsheet' PY racing in the 400 is a good balance.

All of these boats are just commodity lumps of plastic, give or take the odd wooden Solo.
The important thing is to look at the people, decide who you want to race against, then get a boat (or boats) to suit.
It would be nice to have a 2-hander on the list where you can get on the water for under a grand though.

davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 17 at 7:44pm
Depends how strong the club is, if it is at capacity I can see the case for promoting strong class racing, but I suspect that this is something that is easier to implement from inception rather that retroactively
Happily living in the past
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>