FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rules Observance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rules Observance
    Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 10:04am
When I am OOD if I see something I send boat over if they don't do their turns or they miss a mark
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 10:06am
Originally posted by 423zero

When I am OOD if I see something I send boat over if they don't do their turns or they miss a mark
Hope that aproach is only applied to informal races
Happily living in the past
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by 423zero

So you personally don't think sailing should be a self-policing game?

How do you ensure that every boat that breaks a rule gets the benefit of your invaluable advice?
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 1:15pm
Brass, sarcasm is uncalled for, if you have the manpower to referee a race where's the issue?
ohFFsake View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ohFFsake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 1:40pm
IMHO, Brass's sarcasm is entirely appropriate ;-)
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 3:58pm
Hmmm, and we wonder why sailing is in decline, rather than a reasonable articulate discussion about why you think I am wrong, you paraphrase Brass, where is your debate, please convince I am wrong.
Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 4:11pm
Sailing is a self-policing sport, unless jury boats are called for in the NoR / SI's. (And even then they're limited in what they can adjudicate on, aren't they?) 
When you see an incident, how far away from it are you? Are you sure you have seen everything? Brass's point, I think, is that 'sending a boat over' is inequitable to others where you haven't seen a potential infringement.

Edited by Noah - 20 Oct 17 at 4:11pm
Nick
D-Zero 316

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 4:29pm
Sounds fine to me,  if he's sending a boat over to inform newbs of the rules or to help tackle persistent offenders then why not. The guys at the front should know better and should police themselves. See them misbehaving and a protest should ensue.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 5:32pm
The RC is entitled to protest a boat it observes breaking a rule, but a sort of sub protest action come ad hoc semi umpiring feels a bit like a form of outside assistance unless there's something in the SIs, and I'm not all that comfortable with it.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 17 at 6:01pm
I suppose it depends on the context, at the club I'd say it's fine, open meetings and up, not so much...
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>