FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a future for the Solution?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Papa Smurf View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Papa Smurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there a future for the Solution?
    Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 10:00pm
Is there a future for the Solution? 

Lovely boat to sail, but nobody is sailing them. 

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 10:13pm
Far too many good boats like that unfortunately, some more successful that others.....  Wink
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 17 at 4:00pm
The Solution has a loyal following and (I think) Ovi build it still in limited numbers.

I don't think it will ever reach the heights of the Phantom though as there are far too many competitors in the market sector it is in (Supernova, Blaze to name a couple).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 17 at 4:48pm
There would be a future if they'd let someone who knew what they're doing, market it properly.

Best little boat I've sailed and that includes the D0, Aero, Solo, Streaker, Supernova, Blaze, RS100,EPS,Laser, and other unremarkable boats, only the Phantom beats it in my view and that's mainly because of the waterline length and carbon rig.

They had 16 nobodies sailing it at this years nationals and two from our lake didn't go which was up on the previous year, but nowhere near the 100+ Aeros, but then RS built a 100 Aero's, if you don't build them you won't sell them.

The builders won't build them because nobody orders them, nobody orders them because nobody has seen them or tried them, nobody has tried them because nobody is organising demo's, visiting clubs, focussing attention.

Not rocket science why it's not going anywhere.

Edited by iGRF - 12 Sep 17 at 4:55pm
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 17 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by iGRF

There would be a future if they'd let someone who knew what they're doing, market it properly.

Best little boat I've sailed and that includes the D0, Aero, Solo, Streaker, Supernova, Blaze, RS100,EPS,Laser, and other unremarkable boats, only the Phantom beats it in my view and that's mainly because of the waterline length and carbon rig.

They had 16 nobodies sailing it at this years nationals and two from our lake didn't go which was up on the previous year, but nowhere near the 100+ Aeros, but then RS built a 100 Aero's, if you don't build them you won't sell them.

The builders won't build them because nobody orders them, nobody orders them because nobody has seen them or tried them, nobody has tried them because nobody is organising demo's, visiting clubs, focussing attention.

Not rocket science why it's not going anywhere.

I thought the Soluntion CA had a demo boat? You are a CA member for the Solution of Joy aren't you?......
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 17 at 9:54am
I think I am, I was on the stand at the dinghy show and seem to recall parting with cash there, was actually going to the nationals, but a family wedding interceded, but you know my opinion of classes, they get in the way, hold up progress and generally act as a sales prevention device as well meaning as they may seem, they're all happy with the boat and act against changes that might broaden it's appeal. Like Carbon rigs and not marketing to a narrow group of lightweights when it is a very good weight carrier and perfectly capable of being competitive even carrying 96kilos of lard.

Then what do I care if anyone else buys them? Makes no difference to my enjoyment.

Edited by iGRF - 13 Sep 17 at 9:56am

Post Options Post Options   Quote Papa Smurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 17 at 10:48am
I like the boat but do I want to buy into a class with few boats to race against today that might not be here tomorrow?

I enjoyed sailing the boat but unless I chase the traveling fleet around I won't be sailing against another one.

This leaves me with handicap racing only at my club, where I do most of my sailing.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 17 at 12:07pm
put a carbon rig on it and watch the competitive weight drop through the floor.... thus reducing the broader appeal you talk of Graeme.  

TBH - unless you are under 75kg, then you might as well buy a Phantom if this is the style of boat you like.  The waterline length makes it a far nicer proposition for most racing environments.  

Edited by turnturtle - 13 Sep 17 at 12:08pm
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 17 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

put a carbon rig on it and watch the competitive weight drop through the floor.... thus reducing the broader appeal you talk of Graeme.  

TBH - unless you are under 75kg, then you might as well buy a Phantom if this is the style of boat you like.  The waterline length makes it a far nicer proposition for most racing environments.  

I agree that body weight is a key driver to any decision on which single hander. Personally at 95 kg it was clear that the likes of Solo, Laser, Vario, Aero would not accommodate my size and allow me to be competitive. I had narrowed it down to the Phantom until I came across the Hadron H2 - its new but more than 20 boats sold this year with seemingly a couple of new orders each month. Happy to share more views on the H2 if you wish.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Papa Smurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 17 at 12:52pm
I've always liked the Phantom but at 80kg think I'm too light for the boat.

The Phantoms on our water are all sailed by those at 90kg+.

The Solution should be the obvious choice but there seems to be a lack of interest in the boat which surprises me.

Maybe the Aero and D Zero have replaced it as an option?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>