FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hiking technique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hiking technique
    Posted: 09 Sep 17 at 8:18am
Originally posted by By The Lee

Drop hiking is not only bad for you but is slow as you have to sail with the boat heeled to leeward to stop you bum dragging. if you want to see how to hike properly watch a video of someone like Slingsby in a Laser

if you drag your bum in a Blaze then you have freakishly long legs... Some boats it works in (i.e those with enough freeboard).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 17 at 10:04am
What I've discovered so far is that nearly everybody considers Steve C's analysis to be gospel but most people sail L@sers which are so badly designed ergonomically that straight leg hiking is the only option. Knee damage is probably due to sailing twisted or with feet toed in causing imbalance between the muscles supporting the knee (as Steve C says) rather than having the knees bent or straight (my conclusion, though bent knees does put more strain on the ligaments in the knee). Straight legs are bad for the lower back and hips (which is where the bulk of my issues arise) bent legs reduce the strain on back, hips and abs (personal experience). Just looking at the various videos the extreme dynamics advocated by the top L@ser guys must be a major culprit when it comes to knee damage. Those sailors who advocate straight leg hiking mostly only do it for a few seconds at a time reverting to bent legs for most of the beat (Olympians and World championship contenders being notable exceptions). 

I wonder if my use of the term 'drop hiking' is misleading, suggesting the position Star crews adopt (with the associated hiking harness)? For clarity, I was referring to the method Paul Elvstrom developed in the Finn (highish freeboard and narrow side decks). https://www.stfyc.com/images/dynamic/getImage.gif?ID=100003698
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 17 at 10:13am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Riv View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 17 at 4:08pm
With the Blaze you are bound to end up with a mix of Finn and Laser style hiking, and you choose which ever one hurts you least. 

If I was not racing and had a Blaze I'd extend the racks so that I could sit in the normal hiking position and not strain my knees and so enjoy my sailing more. I suppose if you were doing handicap racing you could negotiate a slightly lower PY. The basic idea would be to modify the boat and not the sailors body.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 17 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Riv

With the Blaze you are bound to end up with a mix of Finn and Laser style hiking, and you choose which ever one hurts you least. 

If I was not racing and had a Blaze I'd extend the racks so that I could sit in the normal hiking position and not strain my knees and so enjoy my sailing more. I suppose if you were doing handicap racing you could negotiate a slightly lower PY. The basic idea would be to modify the boat and not the sailors body.

The Blaze is pretty comfy to hike to be fair. Just a bit of padding needed at the front edge if you want to hang forwards off it.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 17 at 9:50am
Originally posted by jeffers

Originally posted by Riv

The Blaze is pretty comfy to hike to be fair. Just a bit of padding needed at the front edge if you want to hang forwards off it.

All Blazes race with the racks at max extension and the old adage of "he who hikes hardest goes fastest" is still true. Admittedly an extra few inches of effort makes less difference than it does on a Laser but the difference is still significant. And negotiating a diffident handicap for 'lazy b@5tards'!!!!! 

As jeffers says Blaze is a pretty comfortable boat to hike......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 17 at 4:19pm
I wouldn't so much say lazy, as becoming aware that my knees and back are valuable assets and are irreplaceable. Boats are not valuable in that sense and are easily replaceable. 30 years of Laser sailing and general abuse are catching up with me and I intend to sail and ride well into my 80s. A 2.4 is looking very desirableSmile

piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 2:42pm
I have recently started sailing 300's and find the drop posture works well, no back or knee pain and seems more effective than going straight. I have to change to straight half way up the beat to relieve whatever muscle it is that keeps the toes hooked up, when I go straight I can feel my back loading up so I keep it to a minimum.
I also drop a bit in the 200
I am a short legged 5'6"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by piglet

]I am a short legged 5'6"

So... I have many questions, where to start?

piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 17 at 2:55pm
Oh Ye that is averse to 300's, 200's, hiking and most things relating to our sport.
I am wondering if you would benefit from an alternative pastime.
Philately?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>