FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Choosing a family dinghy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
vics2003 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote vics2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choosing a family dinghy
    Posted: 03 Oct 17 at 9:33pm
Won't be going out all together. Thinking of something big enough to take a child or two and be able to be sailed singlehanded (and be reasonably light to get in and out of the water)
fleaberto View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 17 at 4:43pm
Does your club allow multihulls?
Dart 15 could suit. I used to have one and it provided pretty much all you're looking for.
Stable platform to not scare the nervous. Sailable 2-up, great for kids to do jib stuff and even get onto the trapeze for extra fun. Cruise around or go racing solo.

Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack', RS Vareo (432)'The Golden Rays'
Eisvogel View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Eisvogel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 17 at 5:40pm
I'd recommend an Enterprise. Good for racing, cruising, and easy to launch and recover. And you can get plastic versions.

And, if pressed you can sail it single-handedly. Never tried that myself, but someone at our club did this a while ago with good results.

Edited by Eisvogel - 04 Oct 17 at 5:42pm
Enterprise 20361 (Eisvogel), Laser 102727 (Halcyon), Laser 121986
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 17 at 9:04pm
One of our members sails an Enterprise on his own all the time, can't remember last time he capsized, he weighs about 14 stone, I had one until recently, never sailed it on my own though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12