FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Step 2, RS 300?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Papa Smurf View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Papa Smurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Step 2, RS 300?
    Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by piglet

I haven't travelled with mine so I don't know what 'proper' 300 sailors would say, but I do think you need to be nimble and light on your feet in the 300, getting your body weight into the right place quickly seems to matter.
Papa Smurf, you didn't mention the Blaze in your list of possibles. Not my cup of tea but some people like them, fast on a reach and a more stable platform for sure.

The only 300 helm I know is a bit quick. He's probably a lot quick but I tend to lose sight of him too early to tell. He doesn't jump about a lot or look rushed, but he does moves early and just enough to keep it balanced and looking smooth.

He got wet a couple of times this weekend..

I've read about the Blaze but don't know anyone who has one or who has seen one.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Papa Smurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by JimC

Its really a question of technique. If you've got what Bethwaite calls fast handling technique...

A bit of light reading there for me I think. Should keep me going for a while.

Apart from the Eric Twiname book most of my references have been RYA texts or Laser specific.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 17 at 10:39pm
The Twiname book is required reading for any aspiring dinghy racer..... I have a Blaze and absolutely love it, it's fast, easy to sail and comfortable (for a certain definition of comfortable, it is a singlehanded dinghy....). It does require a certain level of agility and skill but not anything superhuman (I'm 64 and, while I returned to dinghies 9 years ago I've been out of competitive dinghy racing for a long time). I have only had my Blaze since November and have raced it at my inland club until a few weeks ago. Observations are :- 

1. The racks are unforgiving on a small lake, roll tacking like a L@ser is impossible and if you get caught out by a big gust you will dip one in the water and stop. 

2. It's a long way from side to side and that makes point one . The flat rocker and wide planing area don't help light wind performance. 

3. But the rig is sublime (even with the tin mast), very de-powerable and on the sea in a breeze the Blaze is just fantastic.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 19 Jul 17 at 10:42pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 17 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Papa Smurf

I haven't travelled with mine so I don't know what 'proper' 300 sailors would say, but I do think you need to be nimble and light on your feet in the 300, getting your body weight into the right place quickly seems to matter.
Papa Smurf, you didn't mention the Blaze in your list of possibles. Not my cup of tea but some people like them, fast on a reach and a more stable platform for sure.

The only 300 helm I know is a bit quick. He's probably a lot quick but I tend to lose sight of him too early to tell. He doesn't jump about a lot or look rushed, but he does moves early and just enough to keep it balanced and looking smooth.

He got wet a couple of times this weekend..

I've read about the Blaze but don't know anyone who has one or who has seen one.

I had a Blaze on a small inland puddle. It was a nice boat but not really suited to the water unless it was blowing old boots.

As Sam has said you cannot roll tack it too hard or you dip a wing so keeping it fairly flat is the way forward. It paid to generally ignore a shift unless it was significant and bang the corners (which never works on a small pit). 

I enjoyed mine a lot but I am now sailing something far more suited to my sailing style and the lake I am sailing on.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 17 at 4:07pm
Nicely put Jeffers, I now have the Blaze down at the coast with the Spice and the Supernova up at the lake. However, I'm really finding it hard to make the 'nova go fast...... 10 mins behind the Lasers last week. TBF I have only raced it three times so I'll persevere at least until the Blaze comes home in November.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 17 at 4:31pm
Spoons, how does the SuperSofa compare with Blaze?
I was trying to talk a club colleague into switching as he sometimes struggles getting the Blaze back up & going again in breeze.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 17 at 4:39pm

Spoons, how does the SuperSofa compare with Blaze?
I was trying to talk a club colleague into switching as he sometimes struggles getting the Blaze back up & going again in breeze.

When I borrowed a SuperSofa when I was between boats I really didn't like it. It felt horrible to sail. Seemed to go quickly enough to keep me ahead of our local Laser fleet. I preferred the Blaze of the 2 but getting back in after a capsize was in through the transom or step round the front of the rack (if you were on the board).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 17 at 5:05pm
Not capsized the 'nova yet, no issues with the Blaze though (but I haven't binned it in a proper breeze yet). To be fair to the 'nova I'll reserve judgment for the moment but first impressions are less favourable than the Blaze which I knew was a keeper on the first outing.

Our resident Supernova sailor makes his Mk2e go well enough to usually beat the Lasers over the water and often enough on handicap. Unfortunately he's racing the Wednesday series crewing his daughter's RS200 so I can't follow him to see how he does it :(

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 20 Jul 17 at 5:08pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"

Post Options Post Options   Quote Papa Smurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 17 at 7:08pm
From what you've said the Blaze sounds interesting and the Supernova less so.

All of my sailing this year will be on a small reservoir. No waves, but very changeable winds Probably not Blaze territory. To be honest I quite like moving the boat around me. Something about being part of the dynamic appeals to me.

Top of my wishlist would be the D-Zero. It's new, good looking, a little exotic. Purely based on reviews and image. Not likely to happen because it would involve the expense of a new or nearly new boat.

Next up would be the Phantom. More of a known quantity. They sail well on these waters. I really like them. However my weight, or lack of it, has me more or less convinced (changes daily sometimes, and everytime I see one I like) that they aren't for me.

The Solution I had lined up for this season was sold before I could buy it. There doesn't seem a lot of enthusiasm supporting them which is a little unsettling.

We don't run the courses for asymmetrics here so the RS100 is a bit of an non-runner.

The Aero didn't jump out at me for some reason. Looking at it I can see some good ideas and great touch's. It has grown on me the more I look at it. Again a newer boat at greater expense.

The older style, more traditional boats don't really appeal, even though that's where the best racing is here.

Then we have the 300. Exciting, rewarding and completely out of the blue. I wasn't looking for a 300. The boat found me.

I'm at the point where I have to accept that the new boats I like cost more, or choose not to care that I might be a little lighter than ideal for the Phantom.

But that 300 has caught my interest. It looks like fun.

Being sensible about boats is not good for you. There is too much passion involved.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 17 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Papa Smurf

But that 300 has caught my interest. It looks like fun.

Indeed it does.

But then of course there are some very strange 'special' people who sail them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>