FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mirror capsize recovery.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mirror capsize recovery.
    Posted: 15 Jul 17 at 7:01pm
Anyone got any tips for getting back in a Mirror ?

Righting lines or such, foot loops etc, pictures would be nice.

Boat is centre/aft main, using Laser fittings, block twisted and jammed mainsheet, big gust, all over.
Easy to flip back upright, boat is high side for a little boat, big heave to get back in, don't know how small kids get back in ?
Riv View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 17 at 7:18pm
I always got in over the back. Kids got scooped up when it  comes upright.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 12:43am
Tried that, nothing inside boat to grab, from side you can reach hiking straps.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 5:53pm
Crew lies in the water right up against daggerboard case. Helm climbs onto centreboard and pulls boat up. As it comes up helm steps over the gunwale and crew is already in the boat.

Edited by craiggo - 16 Jul 17 at 5:53pm
OK 2129
RS200 411
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 7:45pm
No crew, boat rigged for solo use.
Tried that, board crackled alarmingly, would have broken.
Found righting easy, it was getting in over that narrow edge I found difficult, recovering from broken ribs, still ache a bit, didn't want to rest my weight on it.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 8:16pm
Change the mainsheet system to one that works and don't capsize again. I think in 16 years of ownership, Rupertson tipped it in twice, when about 12, and I never did, despite going out in very silly weather.

Otherwise, keep a small solid ladder with hooks to go over the gunwale clipped to the aft deck where you can reach it from the water.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 8:26pm
I am not very good with aft main, certainly would have been unable to sail with aft main in yesterdays wind. 
Block had actually come undone from boom, one of the screws had pulled out of wood (gone soft) and twisted turning block the wrong way round, have made a new boom today.
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 17 at 12:14pm
Can't you tip it towards you and push the gunwhale down, or does that just pull it over on top of you?

I finally sussed out how to get back in the 300, got quite good at it saturday.
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 17 at 9:04pm
Broken ribs are the key here so you really don't want to pull yourself over anything. Boarding ladder sounds a good option. How about this for a silly idea. If you have an old rudder blade cut a foot hole in the bottom of it which you can then use as a step.....might work:)
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 17 at 9:12pm
That is a fascinating idea! Not sure what it would do for hydrodynamics, but worth a try.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>