FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser mainsheet -- cleat or no cleat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
bustinben View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser mainsheet -- cleat or no cleat?
    Posted: 07 Jul 17 at 11:08am
Originally posted by JohnJack

Don't want to be a fun sponge, and this horse has already bolted long before barn doors were jammed closed. Isn't the Laser a one design. Isn't a ratchet block and cleats specified? and technically not having them, or a centre jammer be out of class

There are a number of options available under the class rules for all your systems.
sandgrounder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sandgrounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 17 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by PeterG

I'm well aware that those at the top of the fleet spurn them,

Not so sure about that. Robert Scheidt, arguably the most successful Laser sailor of all time utilises side cleats for tacking. And I've seen some top Laser sailors using the cleats to set the mainsheet upwind in lighter breeze.

Edited by sandgrounder - 07 Jul 17 at 2:31pm
RS400atC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 17 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by bustinben

Sheet loads in the laser aren't high, so you should be able to just hold it in your tiller hand while you adjust other control lines.  Some people do use the side cleats, but most find that they get in the way and stop you from using the optimum body position in light airs.

The sheet loads seem pretty high to me.
Mine does not have cleats, and I often find I'm sat where they would be.
Maybe I don't use enough kicker and sit too far forwards?
I don't wear gloves except for crewing anything with a big kite or the depths of Winter.
transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 17 at 3:24pm
Using mainsheet cleat in a small dinghy?........Aaaaargh.

I did it once, to roll a fag going round Sheppey , it felt so totally wrong that I gave up smoking shortly after. Wink

Edited by transient - 07 Jul 17 at 3:26pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 17 at 7:40pm
Use em all the time, did back in the day in my OK do today in the Spice. Haven't got one on the Blaze as I've gone off-the-boom but it had one before and I've still got the bits. If I stay centre mainsheet on the Supernova I may fit the redundant cleat from the Blaze.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 17 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by RS400atC

Originally posted by bustinben

Sheet loads in the laser aren't high, so you should be able to just hold it in your tiller hand while you adjust other control lines.  Some people do use the side cleats, but most find that they get in the way and stop you from using the optimum body position in light airs.
The sheet loads seem pretty high to me. Mine does not have cleats, and I often find I'm sat where they would be.Maybe I don't use enough kicker and sit too far forwards?I don't wear gloves except for crewing anything with a big kite or the depths of Winter.

In a breeze you'll be needing to use sh*t-loads (I think that's the correct term) of kicker to keep the sail flat, and the mainsheet controls the sheeting angle.

Sitting toward is good in the lighter stuff, and I've seen a number of foreheads gashed by cleats, so I would remove them from the decks.

I use centre jammers on the OK, but you are sat above it so it is easy to release. In a laser you are sat at the same level as the cleat, so I can imagine having problems releasing it bearing off on a breezy day.
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 17 at 7:15am
The fact that at least 80% of lasers on the circuit don't use the cleats is probably more relevant than the fact that some of our forum users have cleats on various other dinghies. You don't need or want cleats on your laser - FACT.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 17 at 8:53am
Unless you like bum bruises from deck cleats! Mainsheet jammers attached to the final block are the work of the devil in pretty much any class.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 17 at 10:10am
As I said just now:

Originally posted by transient

Using main sheet cleat in a small dinghy?........Aaaaargh.

. Wink

Using a main sheet cleat on most small dinghies is not good practice and on a Laser it certainly isn't common practice. 

You will not be in full control of the boat with the main sheet cleated just as you wouldn't be in full control of a car with the throttle jammed open ( best analogy I can think of at the mo).
A mainsail needs constant attention and trimming to maintain speed and control heel. 

Everything you need to do in a Laser can be done with two hands and no cleats. (apart from rolling fags Wink)
sandgrounder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sandgrounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 17 at 10:33am
Originally posted by laser193713

The fact that at least 80% of lasers on the circuit don't use the cleats is probably more relevant than the fact that some of our forum users have cleats on various other dinghies. You don't need or want cleats on your laser - FACT.

Difficult to generalise really. Keith Wilkins won more Laser Masters World titles than anyone whilst using a centre jammer, so each to their own

Edited by sandgrounder - 08 Jul 17 at 11:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>