FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Club motto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club motto
    Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 7:45am
I have thought about that, I can walk to this one,plus indoor boat storage, would have left years ago else.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Do Different

I agree, so out of date. This is the time of entitlement, I want it now and I want it easy. Or, at the very least I want to pay a minion to do it for me because I'm far to important to waste my time...................

You are probably right about the minions.  Most dinghy sailors are far too parsimonious to pay a fair rate for a leisure activity.  And why would they when there are (usually) enough mugs out there to do it all for free.

Edited by turnturtle - 27 Jun 17 at 9:54am
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 9:25am
You've just got to explain to them a bloody sailing club is not a collection of individuals who happen to sail boats, it's a team of owners of boats who have clubbed together for their own mutual interest, safety and race competition and in order to do that we need to rotate the bits we don't like doing.

Or f**k off somewhere else.

I tried to get our club to not have none racers, and if they didn't ante up for duty they can't join, the end, piss off and sail somewhere on your own without rescue boats, winches and all the paraphanalia we have managed through clubbing together our resources, to provide.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 9:31am
I repeat, FFS just do the damn duties, it's not onerous turning up a couple of times a year! If you really genuinely CBA then join a club that employ a full time RO and Cox and pay the much higher subs that demands.........

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 27 Jun 17 at 9:31am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 9:51am
Originally posted by iGRF

You've just got to explain to them a bloody sailing club is not a collection of individuals who happen to sail boats, it's a team of owners of boats who have clubbed together for their own mutual interest, safety and race competition and in order to do that we need to rotate the bits we don't like doing.

I tried to get our club to not have none racers, and if they didn't ante up for duty they can't join, the end, piss off and sail somewhere on your own without rescue boats, winches and all the paraphanalia we have managed through clubbing together our resources, to provide.

if you could put that in a succinct motto, or some useful soundbite that would be ideal.... I'm sure it would solve all the issues identified by 423zero at his/her club last weekend.   LOL
zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 9:53am
Originally posted by iGRF

Spot on  Clap
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 9:59am
Well said iGRF, perfect

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 10:05am
Okay, cynicism aside for a mo.... 423zero:

the questions that need to be asked are:

1) is this an isolated incident of no-shows?  (I'm assuming not, given the justification you will have gone through personally to write an open letter.  That takes a bit of balls, so respect for that.)

2) Why did they not show up?  Has anyone contacted the members involved?  No need to name and shame them here, but it would be useful in the context of this discussion to understand their reasons.

3) Why, if they knew they were not going to show, did they not inform the Sailing Sec?  That sounds a little bizarre and almost worse that not showing up in the first place imho.

Answers to 2 and 3 might highlight you've simply got a communication issue, not a broader problem with volunteer resources.  The fact that you are also talking about 'putting something on the noticeboard' as your primary communication tool, might also want a re-think if you are trying to reach out to those who are not actively attending the club that duties are second nature.  

Is your club on Facebook etc? 

Does your club use dutyman with automated email reminders?

Does anyone pick up the phone or write or email or text message each person the week before their duty?

Edited by turnturtle - 27 Jun 17 at 10:40am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 10:11am
Do you use Dutyman so that individuals confirm to accept the duty? That way, the OOD can see in advance who has not yet confirmed they are turning up and phone them to remind them. If they fail to turn up after confirming they will, that is a pretty miserable state of affairs.

I generally find most people actually quite enjoy their duties if/when they turn up, provided they aren't too frequent (couple of times a year). Those that sail regularly accept that it is just part of deal and those that are less frequent sailors can often be re-invigorated by an enforced trip to the club.

However, I fully understand TT's point. I have a work colleague who has sailed as a crewing guest at the local club a few times this year (not for me). He has now exceeded his quota and has been asked to join if he wants to carry on sailing. He has enjoyed the sailing, but it is something he would only do 5-6 more times this year and he is up to his eyes in student fees, saving for a house deposit, wedding planning etc. But equally, he is used to being footloose and fancy-free and doesn't want to tie himself to one hobby. He feels that joining a club, having to do duties, care for a boat etc would commit him to sailing, and the sailing club, more than he is willing to do. And so he will leave, and probably take up kliteboarding as it is more casual and not club based. To an extent, I think this is an age thing. When you are in your 20s and 30s there is a whole world to explore, and tieing yourself to an expensive and time consuming hobby seems very constraining. When you have settled down and had kids, your sense of community and society changes and it can feel very rewarding to undertake selfless acts to support others.

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 10:24am
Originally posted by A2Z

To an extent, I think this is an age thing. When you are in your 20s and 30s there is a whole world to explore, and tieing yourself to an expensive and time consuming hobby seems very constraining. When you have settled down and had kids, your sense of community and society changes and it can feel very rewarding to undertake selfless acts to support others.

I think you are right.  Whether or not you can come back to commitments like duties when kids are around depends very much on whether the kids are actively involved in the sailing club too.   There seems to be a rather false assumption on this forum that those who identify 'duties' as a barrier to sailing aren't contributing voluntary or charitable effort elsewhere in their lives.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>