FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So what do I do now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So what do I do now?
    Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by 423zero

When I had a look at eps, I thought this boat would have worked even better if wings at back had overlapped giving you somewhere to sit in a drifter or when running.

Nice idea , but practically not good, for a start it's one of those low volume quite straight rockered boats that need all the weight up front to keep the noise down at the back. As it is the Mainsheet block is to far back in my view, when it's light you tack ahead of it and pfaff about passing the sheet around it.
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by iGRF

I'd demo one tomorrow, if I didn't have to risk nosebleeds or falling off the edge of the planet to find one to demo.

And has nobody told you length is everything? ;-) 

iGRF if you'd just asked we can arrange a demo no problem. No nosebleed, no long haul flight.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by JimC

There must be any number of custom foil builders who could make you a light foil for the EPS. Not cheap, but very doable. But if you want to change boats anyway perhaps not worth it.

missing an opportunity to sell the canoe here Jim.... I'm not sure how easy they'd be to launch off a lee shore mind.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 5:11pm
I'm curious, why are you even considering the PY of a new boat; a system you roundly refute?

I'm surprised that at your age and experience that you don't simply get the boat you fancy.

BTW. not advice heaven forbid, but Laser Radial a much nicer rig than the full and good fun in waves.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Do Different

I'm curious, why are you even considering the PY of a new boat; a system you roundly refute?

Because it is the only means we have to calculate results, like it or hate it and against the constantly moving playing field which is my mates in their Lasers, the race for beers becomes ever more difficult each year.

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 9:31pm
... erm get a Laser then, prove them wrong on the water ... given the light winds of late, you'd be a bandit in a full
Rig and switch to a radial if it's got white caps out there
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 9:19am
There's a trapezing version of the Laser then?
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 2:28pm
OK GRF
Buy a RS600, which are cheap at the moment, due to your weight have a new semi soft sail designed for the smaller rig (remove extra lower section of the mast). Have wing covers made with bouyancy inserts like the moths use.
Having the alloy wings also means you can tip it over on the beach rather than leave it collecting stones in the dagger board slot.
Very under rated boat, but still quick, tapeze, carbon mast whats not to like.
good luck
Gordon
Gordon
Lossc

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by iGRF

There's a trapezing version of the Laser then?

we live in a world of compromise.... if trapezing it top of your wish list, and thus a red line in the boat choice, then Jack has already stated the best possible recommendation for a craft for lightweights.  I'd have loved to have sailed one if I'd known about them at 16!!!

If quality of racing is top of the list, and the locals race lasers, then I'm afraid you need to suck it up and get a Laser.

FWIW - I'm having similar dilemmas right now, but I've got a bit longer to think about it as I'm not buying anything until I know my kids are settled in their new school in the autumn.

Edited by turnturtle - 27 Jun 17 at 2:35pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 6:08pm
Buy another Blaze, at least the Mk3s are all down to weight and a 15% lighter than a Contender, you said yourself that selling yours was at worst boat decision you ever made....... 

Otherwise I think Gordon has struck the nail squarely on the head.....

I'd like a soft sail for "dolly the sheep" (which I haven't sailed yet, tomorrow hopefully) but I suspect my club and especially the other Supernova helms might be a little less tolerant than yours if I rocked up with a shiny new custom made 'out-of-class' sail.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 27 Jun 17 at 6:10pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>