FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So what do I do now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So what do I do now?
    Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 5:10pm
Off the water for a month anyway after stupidly getting conned into a cataract operation mid summer., but my EPS has a knackered centreboard and I can't be asked to make another big heavy thing out of ply and can't get a spare. I don't want to ruin the Solution on the beach getting small stones stuck in the CB case and anyway I'm kind of fed up with hiking on the quite long course we now have off Hythe because we set these fixed marks at the corners and they are the easiest to use but you get the occasional mile long beat which is a hiking ballache and boring.

I want to Trapeze, got the offer of a Vortex, but concernend it'll just go down the mine constantly on our water, haven't got time to build anything, fancy a Contender but the rig is too big for my 67 kilos and 5'6" height, I was thinking of having one last hiking bash on a an Aero 7 but it's probably going to get mullered on handicap by the Lasers, (quite a few of them now so have even been thinking if you can't beat them maybe...)

It's time for a sea change, but the girl just can't make up her mind, any bright ideas?

Edited by iGRF - 25 Jun 17 at 5:11pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 5:19pm
There must be any number of custom foil builders who could make you a light foil for the EPS. Not cheap, but very doable. But if you want to change boats anyway perhaps not worth it.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 5:59pm
It's probably a bit big for me if I'm honest, OK if it's light I can sail it to it's handicap, but if not even with the racks I can't seem to make it go upwind much better than a stock Laser, I've given it at least five years now, I think that's enough and time to move on, I know you really want it, so I tell you what you can have it for 700, what do you think?
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 6:52pm
> What do I think?

I'm sure its a fine boat for someone to sail, but that someone isn't me.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 7:47pm
That's bad luck, always fancied one, watched their nationals at Whitefriars a couple of years ago, I have just this weekend taken possession of a modernised 1979 Mirror, never sailed one, came second in first race, really pleased how it handled, out pointed a Topper Magno on every beat
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 9:13pm
Weren't you thinking of a Farr for moments like this?

Otherwise, the baby rigged Blaze.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 9:33pm
I was for a bit, but I'm not convinced it'll even beat the Lasers over the water, never mind on handicap, it's a bit short, I very nearly bought one around the time of the dinghy show.

There aren't many of those Fire rigs around yet, not seen any results to speak of, no idea if it's even got a handicap rating, or what it is, and they are bloody heavy hauling them up the beach.

Edited by iGRF - 25 Jun 17 at 9:33pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 17 at 10:20pm
When I had a look at eps, I thought this boat would have worked even better if wings at back had overlapped giving you somewhere to sit in a drifter or when running.
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 10:29am
iGRF - you need to talk to Myles who sails from the IOW to Lymington to race. Unfortunately he had a major health scare at the end of last year / this. Is doing much better now. But I'm not sure if he is back sailing his boat competitively yet. But until then he was sailing his Farr 3.7 and fairly consistently far exceeding your expectations of the Farr 3.7. Obsessing about the length is a bit daft. Take one for a test sail. Here are some of Myles results - https://www.ltsc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/2016_Early_Points.htm You will see he is 9th out a fleet of 57 boats in the Medium fleet
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 12:43pm
I'd demo one tomorrow, if I didn't have to risk nosebleeds or falling off the edge of the planet to find one to demo.

And has nobody told you length is everything? ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>