FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quba, Pico or something else ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cliffisen View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Cliffisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quba, Pico or something else ?
    Posted: 23 May 17 at 9:31am

Greetings all

I知 just loving the sea and I dive, kayak and I知 involved with the scouts (seafaring ones).
My daughter is currently sailing Optimist and loving it, and I do mean loving it. She takes every opportunities she gets.
I don稚 have much experience with dinghies, we sail larger boats but I want to get closer and more personal with the water, if that makes any sense.

Either way, before I get ahead of myself I need to focus on this post.

I知 looking for something to sail myself. I been looking at Europe (abet low for my sake), Laser (too hard for me currently).

Lately I have been looking at Laser Pico and RS Quba. They look like small dinghies that is large enough for me to sail and grow in. I知 also hoping that they will be able to handle that my daughter is with me when we just want to cruise around along the coast.

I知 a large man, 95kg (177cm) and going down another 5 or 10 kg if that is significant.

Is there anyone that have experience with these dinghies and can share it with me?
It痴 not possible to try out the Quba, there isn稚 many here. I値l need to buy a new one and have it sent here Cry. 2-hand Picos are scares but there is at least some.

Pico, Quba or something entirely different?

Daniel Holman View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 12:21pm
You'll be wanting to try one of these:
http://fusionsailboats.co.uk
Bang up to date with the intent to move the game forward in the sector that you are considering.
Nb I have to declare an interest I drew it.
Get in touch with the guys they are very responsive in providing demo sails.
Cheers
Dan
Cliffisen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cliffisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 1:49pm
Never heard of Fusion before.
Im not sure whats the main difference between Fusion and Pico/Quba is thou.

Thank you for the tip!
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 2:03pm
It is a boat to fulfil the same requirements as pico and qba, I.e rotormoukd boat for individuals and institutions.
Happy with anything from one kid on their own two kids to a kid and an adult.
Plenty of cross over performance to grow into.
A lot of effort in the ergonomics functionality, styling, durability and sailing experience.
Think a y&y magazine test has happened so will be imminent.
Would advise that you demo all options.
Cheers
Dan
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 7:55pm
The Fusion is a little bigger, I'd say, but no secondhand ones yet, I'd think, as new this year. A little more funky, too as design nods to the Devoti D1, also by Dan.

Pico is an older design than the Q'ba, but I'm worried you find both too small. Give a Pico a go (many dinghy hire places have them) and if you fit that, you'll fit a Q'ba too.

Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 8:36pm
Price very reasonable, how does it compare sizewise to a Topaz ?
Cliffisen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cliffisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Pico is an older design than the Q'ba, but I'm worried you find both too small. Give a Pico a go (many dinghy hire places have them) and if you fit that, you'll fit a Q'ba too.

Here is one problem, i cant really try it out before. I wish i could but im not driving 4 hours one way to try it. I know its a bad idea but worst case is that my 11 year old will use it with her friends :)

Im looking at a Pico right now and its half the price of the Quba (2-hand vs brand new). 

When ppl are saying that i might find Pico to small, if you compare the Pico with Laser, or a Europe dinghy, is there much of a difference in size ?

Edited by Cliffisen - 23 May 17 at 8:56pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 9:15pm
Similar size to a Europe, but a very different boat. Not much knee room and a smaller sail. Don't get me wrong, the Pico is a great play boat, and in a bit of breeze you'll have a lot of fun, but you knees may ache after! Your daughter and friends will have a ball.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Cliffisen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cliffisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Similar size to a Europe, but a very different boat. Not much knee room and a smaller sail. Don't get me wrong, the Pico is a great play boat, and in a bit of breeze you'll have a lot of fun, but you knees may ache after! Your daughter and friends will have a ball.

This might just be a stupid question late at night :)
But why do i want to be on my knees ?
Or is that cuz im an adult that its not possible to sit on the side ?
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 10:39pm
You can sit on side if wind strong enough, but in a drifter (light wind) you will be inside boat on your knees.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>