FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy for 55kg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
wysiwyg70 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote wysiwyg70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy for 55kg
    Posted: 10 May 17 at 7:41pm
I have recently started out sailing (completed L1+2).  I borrow my daughter's RS Tera to practice with but I'm looking for a dinghy I can cruise around Portland Harbour and occasionally in the Solent.  The latter in the right conditions. 

Are there many dinghies to choose from in my weight category (55-57kg)?  Besides how is an ideal pairing calculated for helm/hull/sail?  I imagine a lot of it's down to skill, but is it calculated on the worst case scenario, ie. blowing an almighty gale and keeping the boat upright, or simply for optimum speed?

I know my choice of boat is like to be a temporary one until my skills improve (eventual aim is a Laser 4.7 or RS Aero for solo sailing) although I wouldn't be shy of buying more than one boat to fit whatever scenario or purpose, but for now I'd like a boat to occasionally sail with my daughter (10yo wisp!) on a cruise basis.  It needs to be fairly easy to launch and retrieve although the sailing academy is pretty well equipped with all ratios of ramp.  Daughter has no fear so I don't have to worry about 'tippiness' but it needs to be fairly leisurely for the purpose of a 'cruise' dinghy, and will need a jib for her keep busy with..

I like the look of the Gull and wondered if it might be suitable?  I'd prefer to avoid wood.  Any thoughts here or other suggestions please?

Edited by wysiwyg70 - 10 May 17 at 7:43pm
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 17 at 9:50pm
Exactly the purpose of the Mirror Dinghy. There are glass ones out there, though older ones are rare.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 17 at 11:52pm
Optimum crew weights are usually what would be most competitive across the wind ranges when racing so if you are inexperienced being at the top of the weight range might make life easier. Smaller sails help a lot too, and heavier boats are less tricky to handle so traditional classes and boats used for training will usually be more forgiving. The Mirror is well proven and a good boat, as is the Gull and the Heron, any might be suitable along with a number of modern boats like the Topaz range and such like.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 11 May 17 at 3:29pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 17 at 3:14pm
One of our members built her own UK Farr 3.7 and sails out of Shoreham. I believe she is 43kg! This is light even for a Farr 3.7 but at 57kg you'd have a big advantage sailing in normal UK conditions. You'd have to depower earlier with the standard rig but the classes developing slightly small sails to help the ultra light sailors. I'd be thinking about a Farr 3.7.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 17 at 4:51pm
A Farr to sail with a 10 year old?!
Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 17 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Rupert

A Farr to sail with a 10 year old?!

Quite..... !!!

Plastic Mirror would be ideal,
wysiwyg70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wysiwyg70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 17 at 10:22pm
Thank you for suggestions.  I know the Mirror seems the sensible option but unfortunately my thoughts of the Mirror is it has one of the faces only a mother could love ;) 

I havn't come across the Farr - I'll take a squint.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 17 at 10:30pm
I did paint a face on the front of my son's original Mirror​. Looked great. Personally, love the look of the boat. Jaunty would cover it, with the nice shearline and bright red sails.
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 17 at 11:05am
I borrow my daughter's RS Tera to practice with but I'm looking for a dinghy I can cruise around Portland Harbour and occasionally in the Solent.  The latter in the right conditions.  

Are there many dinghies to choose from in my weight category (55-57kg)?  Besides how is an ideal pairing calculated for helm/hull/sail?

but for now I'd like a boat to occasionally sail with my daughter (10yo wisp!) on a cruise basis.  It needs to be fairly easy to launch and retrieve although the sailing academy is pretty well equipped with all ratios of ramp.  Daughter has no fear so I don't have to worry about 'tippiness' 

Ardea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 17 at 12:16pm
Have a look at the RS Feva.  Single handed will be a slight compromise, but not a big deal.  Will be great to sail with the daughter.  Could even race it together.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>