13 [34.21%]
4 [10.53%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RYA or new organisation
    Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 6:34pm
I have read post after post of complaints about RYA, I personally believe they are doing ok, I will vote to stay with RYA.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 7:17pm
Better the devil you know....
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 8:59pm
On the Training side I think they're doing quite a good job.

As with a lot of sports, I think the performance pathway side needs to take a good look at athlete welfare and duty of care.
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 9:09pm
I think the training side works well for "sailing schools" but is less suited to a sailing club than it used to be. It seems focussed on getting pieces of paper out quickly rather than generating good members that the club will retain. There is room for both systems.

I think the whole pathway system needs a revamp to keep those on the pathway scheme and their parents a part of the clubs they represent.

The running theme is that sailing clubs, in my opinion, get something of a raw deal from the RYA.

You can't really replace your governing body, i just live in hope of some reform.

Edited by Paramedic - 24 Apr 17 at 9:12pm
NickM View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 9:23pm
I have taken on a club role that puts me in contact with the RYA's support functions for the first time. I am impressed by the variety and thoughtfulness of the support that is available to clubs if they choose to take it.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 9:47pm
The first two options are the same - the RYA is a continually changing and evolving organisation.

Some may say for the better, others for the worse; but one thing we can all agree on is that the RYA has changed, and in likelihood, will continue to do so.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 9:59pm
Clubs can tweak the system to suit their needs. For kids, we use the Stages as a framework. For adults, it is trickier, as they tend to have limited time, so a weekend per course tends to be what works. However, if a club wants to integrate new sailors, more support needs to be offered by the club and its members. The RYA can only be a small part of that.

Do I think the RYA could change its priorities a little? Yes. But I'm sure all members feel that way.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
JohnJack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JohnJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 17 at 8:33am
Open Question, Do you think people would pay a nominal membership to be part of a dinghy racing association, and do you think events would subscribe to it?

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 17 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Rupert

Clubs can tweak the system to suit their needs. For kids, we use the Stages as a framework. For adults, it is trickier, as they tend to have limited time, so a weekend per course tends to be what works. However, if a club wants to integrate new sailors, more support needs to be offered by the club and its members. The RYA can only be a small part of that.

Do I think the RYA could change its priorities a little? Yes. But I'm sure all members feel that way.

We run our Cadet Week which is a mix of doing the RYA stages combined with fun activities (sailing games, free sailing, bit of racing). It works pretty well and when you get a group of kids together they really drive each other on.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 17 at 9:30am
Originally posted by JohnJack

Open Question, Do you think people would pay a nominal membership to be part of a dinghy racing association, and do you think events would subscribe to it?

That would surely depend on what it did, or aimed to do? What sort of things would you see such an organisation doing - that would differ from what class associations and the RYA do now?
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>