FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting back into sailing...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting back into sailing...
    Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

]Graeme- the fact that the Contender (970) can live with you in an EPS (1030) in light winds, isn't exactly an accolade mate.....  they suck in light winds, even the guys at the zephyr Oxford Blue a couple of years ago agreed.... they were getting ghosted by kids in Aero 5s at the time.   They're a fantastic sea boat, or on short chop big lakes / inland waters with wind (Medemblik, Garda etc), but they're rarely in their element inland in Blighty.     

Because they are too effing heavy, reckon if I had one built to the sort of weight I can handle, had the plate made from carbon instead of heavy whatever wood they use it could be a really nice boat but I don't disagree they suck on inland water, but our YOUNG friend here should be aspiring to the coast if he is within striking distance of Whitstable and there they did have a half decent MPS fleet so that could also be an option especially if he's 90 kgs, which was my problem with the boat, it's not difficult to make it go, it's just tricky if you're too light which I was/am, so either a Contender which would be cheap, or Musto which is less so. Why it is all the good boats are built for lard boys I don't know.

Edited by iGRF - 24 Apr 17 at 3:32pm
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 3:42pm
agreed on many of those points....

- go to the coast if possible, inland should be for winters only if < 60 minutes from a sea club

- Contenders are TOO heavy, agreed 100%; but try telling that to rest of the International Class with their vested interests....

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 7:34pm
One person's "vested interests", another person running a successful international class, and wanting to keep it that way.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
NickM View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 9:45pm
Richrocksmy: If you want to race, you won't find much at Bewl: the club folded a couple of years back. Best inland stretch in that part of Kent is Bough Beech. A few Finns, Phantoms and Supernovas there which go well. Contenders don't really prosper.

For proper sea sailing in Kent I think Whitstable is hard to beat: friendly club too. Miles of Medway tidal water off Wilsonians and a few keen Blazes. Don't really know about East Coast Kent Clubs - some keen Contenders at Downs I think. I'm sure the south coast is good too if you don't mind the wave breaks on the shingle...
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Rupert

One person's "vested interests", another person running a successful international class, and wanting to keep it that way.

Indeed - but it just doesn't suit my personal desires with this specific class ;-)
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 17 at 7:54am
The Contender struggling in the light is not anything to do with its weight - there are lots of much heavier boats that go very well in the light - Finn, Albacore etc etc etc

Its the hull shape (no real rocker) and the long boom that tends to tighten the leech.

The centreboards are already carbon if required - makes no difference to light wind performance though ?

A helm of 90kg would be fine for a Finn or Phantom inland (and most of the time on the sea really - if fit enough)

Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 17 at 8:38am
At last rich96, a voice of reason over rumour on the Contender facts. The much lighter carbon boom does make it a bit more user friendly in the light now although not necessarily any quicker. 

I am often surprised at the suggested helm weights needed for classes, I'd have thought 90kg is adequate for all the bigger single handers. Ultimate upwind speed in big wind yes weight pays but there are plenty of other aspects to our game than pure grunt n power. 

E.J. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote E.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 17 at 9:04am
Kent is increasing in numbers for Contenders at the moment, 6 at Broadstairs with pockets at Downs & Hythe. Helps with the polarised performance if you have boats to Yot against.
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 17 at 10:06pm
The only problem with Whitstable and Wilsonian is the requirement that helms have six fingers and marry their sisters, we're not so insistent on inbreeding on the south coast.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123