FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting back into sailing...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting back into sailing...
    Posted: 23 Apr 17 at 7:11pm
Guys, thanks for the speedy and enthusiastic responses!

Was originally thinking a 300 or a Finn but like the idea of being able to trapeze...How does the stability of a Contender compare with that of a 600?
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 8:35am
Much better- but honestly what has always put me off the Contender is the light wind performance - you need a good F4 to get them in their element. Sadly my local wind stats has always meant the head has won over the heart in buying one.

One frankenboat idea that I like but haven't put into practice - a Phantom with wires, hike in light wind (well gently perch anyway) but then get on the wire when it becomes too
Much like hard work!!!

Edited by turnturtle - 24 Apr 17 at 8:37am
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 8:41am
If you've space why not a Musto (or a 700 if you must).

Yeah a handful to start with, but you said you were fit and when you get it then all those others will just seem dull 
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 9:04am
He is asking for something a bit more user friendly than the 600  Clown
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 9:25am
There's a Guy at our club can make a Contender go in light airs, he does it by playing the kicker almost continually, that and he is at the lighter end of the Contender lard boy spectrum, he has held me off in the EPS and I'm no slouch in light weather.
Having said that I can imagine they would be sticky on fresh water with that hull, but most years it's only a Contender that can take on the Bandits in our series. The only thing that seems awkward is the low boom, and they are damn heavy, but other than that they seem very manageable to sail, certainly compared to a 600.
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

He is asking for something a bit more user friendly than the 600  Clown

Both have more form stability than a 600 and on that basis are more user friendly, although I don't think a 600 is that difficult once you've learnt to react to it.

The other options being suggested are much more user friendly though

Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 11:47am
An anecdote to the form stability thing. 

A friend of mine has had both a 600 & Musto and also sailed my Contender, he reckons the Musto is the most "stable" of the three.

I think that he was saying both in form and dynamic stability. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 12:05pm
I used to sail the 600 inland too, you really had to be on your game when it came to the lulls or you'd just get dunked. 

From memory the MPS was a little less of a soap dish at the back so I expect there's slightly more stability from that.

I think maybe a sensible route back in my be a non-trapeze boat to get me used to being in a boat instead of a windsurf board and then move to a Contender or MPS as I get comfortable.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 12:27pm
Blaze then, most of the characteristics of the skiffy things but a more stable platform  Tongue unless you want a kite that is.......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Blaze then, most of the characteristics of the skiffy things but a more stable platform  Tongue unless you want a kite that is.......

[shudder]that'll be a short return to sailing after a RS600 then...[/shudder]

Echo Neptune - MPS is easier to sail than the 600, obviously there's a bit more going on on the corners, and you can't jessie gybe around the marks in windy weather like you could on 600, not without dropping the kite.  They're great fun with a fantastic class association, but a 300 might offer a easier re-entry into sailing, especially if you can't commit to regularly sailing week-in, week-out through the initial learning curve, nor are looking to make use of the circuit.    

Graeme- the fact that the Contender (970) can live with you in an EPS (1030) in light winds, isn't exactly an accolade mate.....  they suck in light winds, even the guys at the zephyr Oxford Blue a couple of years ago agreed.... they were getting ghosted by kids in Aero 5s at the time.   They're a fantastic sea boat, or on short chop big lakes / inland waters with wind (Medemblik, Garda etc), but they're rarely in their element inland in Blighty.     

Edited by turnturtle - 24 Apr 17 at 3:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>