FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS200 batten tension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
piglet View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS200 batten tension
    Posted: 11 Apr 17 at 9:33pm
Clue is in the title but yes, how tight?
I recently acquired a used sail and the battens are tight enough to pull creases, don't seem right to me.
Advice very welcome.
Oinks View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 17 at 11:40pm
As a starter for 10, general rule with full length battens, just enough tension so that they are firm but not prebent in their pockets. Lowest batten can take a little more tension. But other 200 sailors will be more specific.
jaydub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 17 at 12:52am
Pretty much spot on.  Minimal tension on the top batten to stop it sticking the wrong way on tacks and gybes.  My first sail had a vertical crease half way down the batten pocket and that wasn't unusual.  I did play about with  bit more batten tension on the lower battens, but never convinced myself it was a better all round set up.

The bottom two battens are made of a much more flexible material, so will take more tension.

However my recommendation is that you only apply tension on the screw adjusters (assuming it is a fairly recent sail) until you start feeling some resistance.

Others my beg to differ and there are better 200 sailors than me on this forum.

Post Reply Post Reply