FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frankenboat - what's yours?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frankenboat - what's yours?
    Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 4:32pm
So we all know dinghy designers design boats suitable for everyone else but us and out there somewhere if you could cobble all the bits together...

2 Spring to mind at the moment, the Contender 'Fire' so I could go trapeze on something I could handle on my local water and the Solution ' Zero' that neat D Zero rig could be married to a hull that isn't too precious around beaches. Or what about an Aero-zero?

So, what's your fantasy?

Edited by iGRF - 20 Feb 17 at 4:38pm
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by iGRF

So we all know dinghy designers design boats suitable for everyone else but us and out there somewhere if you could cobble all the bits together...

2 Spring to mind at the moment, the Contender 'Fire' so I could go trapeze on something I could handle on my local water and the Solution ' Zero' that neat D Zero rig could be married to a hull that isn't too precious around beaches. Or what about an Aero-zero?

So, what's your fantasy?

Take the best of the the Aero and pair it with a D-Zero? OK the RS marketing and distribution network with the D-Zero as is.......

The D-Zero is a pretty tough boat as a Supernova owner at Hunts found out when he bore away across me and I t-boned him.

(yes I am biased, what did you expect?)
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 5:10pm
Lighter contender to address f2/3 sailing. It really is quite simple....
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 5:19pm
I could put a spare RS400 main on the laser?
Maybe add a trapeze?
I know of a B14 with dodgy wings. Lose the scaffolding and put two wires on it?

When I was involved with bigger boats, I considered a sailing tender, a design for a light unsinkable thing with a carbon gunter rig made from old windsurf masts... Luckily it never progressed from a beermat doodle.

RS600 rig on an idiot-friendly hull has crossed my mind.

Update the RS400 concept by stretching a Mk4 Tales hull  (15ft6 by 6ft 10 wide would go in my shed) and properly updating the RS400 rig?
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 5:22pm
Is it so simple as weight that makes a Contender hang in the lighter stuff? I imagined it was the fairly flat cross section and only slight rocker resulting in high wetted area that did the damage.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 5:24pm
You're probably right! But a long technical list looses the flippant nature of my comment

Edited by turnturtle - 20 Feb 17 at 5:24pm
Oinks View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 5:51pm
So, what do you do when some random person gives you a yacht genoa and all you have is a beaten up old Laser? Of course you do! You try it on your Laser.. Lashed to the head of the mast and at the tack, sheeted through the traveller eyes on the rear tank. Lack of luff tension and the fact I still couldn't sheet it very tight meant it tacked thro about 150 degrees. Only force 1-2 but did manage to overtake a fireball on a beam reach! Observers commented the mast bend was a bit scarey when the breeze puffed up a bit. 
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 6:28pm
There are some 49er kites on ebay at the moment.....

Actually, a project I might one day get around to, put a big bowsprit and kite on a small weekend cruiser.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 7:54pm
The Minisail with the Lightning rig was fun, but as it was neither one nor the other, had no friends to play with.

If we are going to do Franken-boats we need a get together to compare and have goes.

RS have got in on the act this year with the Neo, mixing a Q'ba and an Aero. Want a go in that.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 17 at 10:30pm
the craziest i ever saw was a Bosun rigged with a 200 sized assymetric kite at the Bloody Mary one year. i can only imagine it was for a bet.

Edited by fab100 - 20 Feb 17 at 10:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>