FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frankenboat - what's yours?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>
Author
rb_stretch View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frankenboat - what's yours?
    Posted: 27 Feb 17 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Yup, I bang on about the PN of the Spice to the despair of some on here ;) Spice is the same length as an I14 (I believe the hull form is a pretty much a copy of an '80s I14 though I suspect more rocker) with a smaller rig and more weight (both of which make it somewhat less frisky). Like you I bought mine as my first dinghy when returning from 30 years of windsurfing. Not so much for the racing in my case and to sail on the sea so it has been perfect. What did you replace your Spice with?

Having not had good class racing (and other half seeing the challenge of tactics) I went to a Hunter 707 in 2000 where there was generally around 50 boats on the startline at every race of the season. Didn't return to dinghies again until 2011, which was initially a Solo until I realised it was only a Phantom that I fitted in.

Edited by rb_stretch - 27 Feb 17 at 7:37pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 17 at 8:16pm
I've done something not entirely dissimilar (but considerably cheaper). I've kept the Spice and bought a Blaze to combat the lack of a regular crew and get some decent racing on handicap at least (i.e. the PN is sufficiently well established that if I do badly I know it's me not the handicap).

I'll bet the 707 was fun, I assume you're somewhere not a million miles for the South Coast then? Up here pretty much the only class racing is Solos and, as I didn't fancy one of those.......
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 17 at 9:11am
So.... take an old 700 and 49er. Rip the deck off the 700 and put a flush Skiff style deck on it (or mate the 49er deck with some extensive trimming). The spinnaker can run under the deck so no sock to wear out and trip over. Attach the 9er wings and rig (minus the jib) now you have a monster! Sort of what they did for the 900 but for a 7

Edited by Oli - 12 Mar 17 at 9:13am

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 17 at 2:50pm
Blaze with a 17m2 (Topper Omega) kite. Did it this summer, brilliant but have yet to get a properly functional launch system built. A bagged kite on a singlehander is simply not practical. Still there's always next year (and maybe a trapeze too).

Either way it's totally reversible and without an extra holes or permanent fittings on the boat.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 26 Sep 17 at 2:51pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 17 at 3:28pm

As it happens just started one today  ......

Icon prototype hull now otherwise redundant - cut freeboard off it to lighten it even further and reduce aero drag.  Put new lower simplified deck on it.   This narrows it considerably as well ... so add tubular wing system (rather familiar to me anyway !) but wide enough to get heeels outside of hull and add an uber lightweight carbon stick rig. 

Halo area type sail (so very much D1 / Phantom area) and then we'll see about a spinnaker.  We know the underwater profile is extremely easily driven and refined without being 'difficult' on any point of sailing and this one will plane all day up and down wind with total ease.... Been wanting to do it for years ....

No it is not commercial at all but it will show just what 'might have been' at a different time..... A fun winter project if nothing else gets in the way.....  Wink

Edited by Cirrus - 26 Sep 17 at 3:28pm
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 17 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Cirrus

As it happens just started one today  ......

Icon prototype hull now otherwise redundant - cut freeboard off it to lighten it even further and reduce aero drag.  Put new lower simplified deck on it.   This narrows it considerably as well ... so add tubular wing system (rather familiar to me anyway !) but wide enough to get heeels outside of hull and add an uber lightweight carbon stick rig. 

Halo area type sail (so very much D1 / Phantom area) and then we'll see about a spinnaker.  We know the underwater profile is extremely easily driven and refined without being 'difficult' on any point of sailing and this one will plane all day up and down wind with total ease.... Been wanting to do it for years ....

No it is not commercial at all but it will show just what 'might have been' at a different time..... A fun winter project if nothing else gets in the way.....  Wink

Is this a singlehander or two up?
Sounds fun anyway.
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 17 at 11:22pm
oh er - single-hander as you ask .... 
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 18 at 9:18am

Edited by Cirrus - 09 May 18 at 9:19am
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 18 at 9:50am
So, another Blaze, this time with a pointy bow to go down the mine even faster?

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 18 at 10:08am
Can't say I've found the Blaze to be particularly 'nosey' off wind in waves (well no more than any other unarig singlehander).

That 'CirrusSkiff' looks great. Halo rig I assume Mike?

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>