FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frankenboat - what's yours?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frankenboat - what's yours?
    Posted: 12 May 18 at 4:15pm
TT, 
you can't force people to sail, we have thousands of people of every nationality walk past our club, we always offer leaflets and advice, we offer free taster sessions, we have had no take ups.
This failure by my club is not evidence of race or gender inequality.
Has anyone ever come across a club that has deliberately discriminated to prevent women or ethnic minorities, (no need to name names).
I started sailing because of encouragement from "white" work mates, I am "white" I have also encouraged "white" friends to have a go, I have no ethnic minority friends to encourage, does that make me racist ? Should I go out looking for an ethnic friend ?
ttc546 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ttc546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 18 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

“A range of evidence suggests about three-quarters of regular dedicated water sports participants are likely to be men aged 18 to 60 years. Over 60% of participants in inland water-based sport and recreation are from social groups A, B, and C1, although these groups comprise less than 50% of the UK population.”

The stats don’t lie... given the lack of participation by women and ethnic minorities, it’s pretty clear the sport has institutional racism and gender inequality issues, even if individual participants feel that they are not racist or sexist.

http://randd.defra.gov.uk/Document.aspx?Document=WC01001_1350_FRP.pdf

Your interpretation of this is complete bollox. Show me a dinghy club that exhibits racism. Show me a dinghy club that discriminates against opposite gender. The issue is far more complex than your simplistic view.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 18 at 5:59pm
Guys - I’m trolling Graeme- forget the ‘isms’’ the article refers to inland recreational use, of which fishing is by far the largest contributer and it doesn’t mention race at all...

Sure, there’s a clear observational note about ethnic minorities in sailing, but I’d say that’s probably ralated to a far wider societal and cultural bias than sailing clubs themselves - bottom line, I doubt anyone pulled off their white gill fleece lined balaclava in an jounty pointed manner during the lunch break and thus set off some accidental racial outrage...
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 18 at 6:12pm
TT,
I occasionally troll myself, you have pointed this out yourself, but only on trivial matters, kite surfers  Censored snow boarders  Censored SUPers  Censored but I think trivialising racism and gender inequality is a tad naughty, perhaps we should start a new thread to discuss this issue ?
Forgot Jet skis  Censored  LOL

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 18 at 7:53pm
Through the microscope of ironic, trivial humour does truth flow... do we really want a thread on ethnic bias in dinghy sailing? I’m not really sure I give a sh*t. There must be far greater inequality to consider before worrying about chumping plastic bath tubs around a pond under the power of the heavenly farts we call wind in the U.K.

Edited by turnturtle - 12 May 18 at 7:55pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 18 at 9:32pm
Well there are probably more cheats and those that would connive to advantage a particular class than there are ethnic minorities, probably..
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 18 at 10:12pm
yes  Thumbs Up statistics almost certainly will bear you out in the context of the original hypothesis  Thumbs Up
the chances are in this instance you may be correct, however with more available data you could be incorrect  Thumbs Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 18 at 8:26am
Originally posted by iGRF

Well there are probably more cheats and those that would connive to advantage a particular class than there are ethnic minorities, probably..

I have to agree, it was disgusting how the PYAG treated the Windrush class...
zippyRN View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 18 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by ttc546

Your interpretation of this is complete bollox. Show me a dinghy club that exhibits racism. Show me a dinghy club that discriminates against opposite gender. The issue is far more complex than your simplistic view.

if anyone is displaying a simplsitic view it;s the   'white middle'  when these topics come up -  as demonstrated by the denial of the problems, the faux  offence at  it being pointed out that those who have   the major privileges  often have no conception of  privilege  and it;s  impact 

Edited by zippyRN - 14 May 18 at 12:02am
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 18 at 6:26am
ZippyRN,
Not getting it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>