FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unusual Trailer idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unusual Trailer idea
    Posted: 27 Feb 17 at 8:01pm
I did consider whether a trailer tent would be a workable idea for open events: just put the boat on top, take it off when you get there. But all the trailer tents I found at the time were massively complicated affairs that expanded way beyond the footprint of the trailer and looked enormously complicated to erect and provided more facilities and hassle than I felt necessary. All I wanted was to lift up the top and have 4 canvas sides on the trailer footprint. A fold down leg at each corner would have been fine...
Nipper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 17 at 10:44pm
"I saw something once, it was a sort of mini-folding caravan/trailer tent affair, with brackets to hold the launching trolley on the folded lid.
It seemed to pack down to a box about 18in tall,  and open to a funny wedge shape.
It might have been Fireball related.

RS400atC, I think the funny wedge shaped trailer tent you refer to belonged to Neil Thornton of  Number1  sails when he was campaigning on the Fireball circuit in about 85/86. There was an article about it in Fireball news at the time.

It was beautifully made ( as was everything Neil turned his hand to) but I only ever saw it in use once.
39 years of dinghy racing and still waiting to peak.
Nipper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 17 at 10:47pm
I saw something once, it was a sort of mini-folding caravan/trailer tent affair, with brackets to hold the launching trolley on the folded lid.
It seemed to pack down to a box about 18in tall,  and open to a funny wedge shape.
It might have been Fireball related.

RS400atC, I think the trailer tent arrangement you are refferring to, belonged to Neil Thornton of Number1 sails, when he was campaigning on the Fireball circuit in 85/86.

It was beautifully made (as was everything Neil turned his hand to) but I only ever saw it in use once.
39 years of dinghy racing and still waiting to peak.
tmoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 5:31pm
Why not get a rooftop tent.  Loads of people buy them for 4x4/ safari trips.  You attach it to roof rails or roof bars and the sleeping part just folds out in about 30seconds (depending on model).  Throw a sleeping bag in and you're ready to go.  Then you can have a normal (cheaper) trailer for you boat and have the flexibility of using a double stacker etc if you chose to.
Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
Micro Magic RC yacht - Eclipse
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345