FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PY Numbers for 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>
Author
RS400atC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PY Numbers for 2017
    Posted: 14 Mar 17 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Rupert

I'm not trying to measure potential, so I don't need a method. I take the view that measuring actual results over years of differing conditions is going to give better average than picking 6 or 7 weekends of racing at largeish water venues and removing most of the data, or trying to plug things into a spreadsheet based on the very results people are deriding.

Only if you assume that the average club sailor sailing some near-dead class of bargain junk has the same talent as the average sailor of a circuit class with Endeavour winners in it.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 17 at 9:05pm
Hmmm, I sail old boats, and have been winning events for decades against new boats. Maybe talent shouldn't be equated with bank balance?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 17 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by RS400atC

Only if you assume that the average club sailor sailing some near-dead class of bargain junk has the same talent as the average sailor of a circuit class with Endeavour winners in it.

That's me. I'm an average club sailor sailing some near dead class of bargain junk and I most certainly had the same talent of any half assed circuit class Endeavour winner and as such I expect to be accorded the same respect as those wannabe's and that's what all the fuss is about and that's exactly the attitude us serious handicap racers have to put up with.
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 17 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by G.R.F.

That's me. I'm an average club sailor sailing some near dead class of bargain junk and I most certainly had the same talent of any half assed circuit class Endeavour winner and as such I expect to be accorded the same respect as those wannabe's and that's what all the fuss is about and that's exactly the attitude us serious handicap racers have to put up with.

was it a nice bottle of wine?

Oinks View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 12:24am
...isn't there's a class missing from the latest RYA list...the National 17ft Sour Grapes Class LOL Think most of us have been sailing one of those recently!
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 8:28am
Originally posted by fab100

Originally posted by G.R.F.

was it a nice bottle of wine? 

I'd imagine it was, the second one scratched a bit though

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 9:02am

Originally posted by Rupert

I'm not trying to measure potential, so I don't need a method. I take the view that measuring actual results over years of differing conditions is going to give better average than picking 6 or 7 weekends of racing at largeish water venues and removing most of the data, or trying to plug things into a spreadsheet based on the very results people are deriding.

Does the average sailor of a non-noddy class care? Whenever I've done SJ events, most there seem to treat it as no more than social sailing during the cold season. A chance to catch up with old mates and throw the boats on the water ... sure- try hard, get some practice in, make some banterish benchmarking comments in the bar/changing room, but above all just to dust off cobwebs and catch up? Everyone knows which conditions favour what better - to ruffle that with a good result, well that's just extra kudos isn't it?

It does rather seem that those who take handicap racing far too seriously are completing missing the obvious answer to their woes... buy a boat with a local fleet, or up the diesel- those are the only sure fire ways to get the quality of racing that seems so craved by some posters here.
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 9:55am
Originally posted by turnturtle

Does the average sailor of a non-noddy class care? Whenever I've done SJ events, most there seem to treat it as no more than social sailing during the cold season. A chance to catch up with old mates and throw the boats on the water ... sure- try hard, get some practice in, make some banterish benchmarking comments in the bar/changing room, but above all just to dust off cobwebs and catch up? Everyone knows which conditions favour what better - to ruffle that with a good result, well that's just extra kudos isn't it?

It does rather seem that those who take handicap racing far too seriously are completing missing the obvious answer to their woes... buy a boat with a local fleet, or up the diesel- those are the only sure fire ways to get the quality of racing that seems so craved by some posters here.
It's not just about the SJ events.
Most people who race a Wednesday night PY series manage not to worry too much.
Getting the same class as people you want to race against is IMHO the best way to enjoy club PY racing.
Second best, something as close as possible, but maybe to suit your weight better.
If you are worried about the results, my top tips for winning a series are:
Start in more races
Finish every race
Don't capsize
Make sure you beat the other boats of the same class.

If I'd been able to follow my own four bits of advice, I'd have won two series in two different clubs last year.

Fifth bit of advice, if you have to come ashore and look at the spreadsheet before you know if you've enjoyed the race  or not, time for a change!

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 10:11am

It's not just about the SJ events.
Most people who race a Wednesday night PY series manage not to worry too much.
Getting the same class as people you want to race against is IMHO the best way to enjoy club PY racing.
Second best, something as close as possible, but maybe to suit your weight better.
If you are worried about the results, my top tips for winning a series are:
Start in more races
Finish every race
Don't capsize
Make sure you beat the other boats of the same class.

If I'd been able to follow my own four bits of advice, I'd have won two series in two different clubs last year.

Fifth bit of advice, if you have to come ashore and look at the spreadsheet before you know if you've enjoyed the race  or not, time for a change!

Clap Clap Clap  LOL LOL LOL
transient View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote transient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 10:17am

Pull yourselves together PY critics, you've now been judged, told how to think and behave so be grateful that you've been put back on the straight and narrow  LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>