FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

420?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Paramedic View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 420?
    Posted: 31 Jan 17 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by zippyRN

is the four-twinkie's  durability still a bit suspect  due to the french bathroom designer lack of   cross  structural bracing ?

They used to be abysmal in terms of longevity, i think one builder has got them as good as they are ever likely to get but i would imagine you still wouldn't want to be the third or fourth owner after 7 or 8 years hard use. 

Cant comment from first hand experience though, and to be fair this is not unique to 420s though i believe perceived resale value to be a striking weakness of the class.
chris_wht View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote chris_wht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 17 at 6:46pm
Buy whichever boat (which you can afford) most makes you get up in the morning and go "god dammit, i wanna go sailing"

jaydub View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 17 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by James_Gibson

Yeh, I'll try and pm him. Well, I'm buying the boat myself so the 200 might be the better option, especially if I don't have to travel as far. Would you know who to talk to about the northern youth squads?
I'll drop you the details in a PM.
PeteM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeteM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 17 at 9:26am
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Fireball, there are loads of competitive f'balls at great prices, last time I looked they were well spread out around the country and there is good class racing at many clubs or at the worst several other boats to play with.. Having a trapeze also makes it much more fun. I sold my last woodie f'ball for what I paid for it after 3 years racing and could have upgraded fairly cheaply to a Winder except I wanted a change.  But it is a great boat and for anything from say £500 upwards you'll get a great sail and plenty of others to play with!   Just a thought!
Osprey Mk 5 1365
Peviously Sailed 4 x Fireball, 1 x RS500, 1 x 505   All nice boats
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 17 at 11:03am
Forget about the boat itself - both teach good skills, but nothing you can't pick up later on.  

Choose the class with the best (for you) social scene....  be honest about how much time the next 4 years you'll have  to travel (school stuff is about to get bat-sh*t crazy and it doesn't ease off into A-Levels or their equivalent) and speak to your folks if they are prepared to drag you around until you get your own wheels.  

Whatever you do, have as much fun as you can, swap boats with mates and switch around crews if you guys have a group rolling  ... these could very well be the best sailing years of your life until you retire, so make the absolute most of it mate.

Edited by turnturtle - 08 Feb 17 at 11:05am
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 17 at 11:12am
Clap Clap Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123