FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

420?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
James_Gibson View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote James_Gibson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 420?
    Posted: 30 Jan 17 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by cad99uk

Make sure you sail a 200 and a 29er before you decide. They are chalk and cheese.

Cheers, just need to find someone who's willing to give me a go.

Post Options Post Options   Quote James_Gibson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 17 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Yup, and a 420 is much closer to a 200 (and a 400 or Buzz) than to a 29er FWIW. If you fancy a bash at international youth sailing the 420 or 29er is the way to go but if it's just a bit more class racing in the North of England then do a bit of googling for suitable open meetings and club results to find out where the fleets are. Sadly there is not very much open meeting action 'north of Watford" these days with most classes being concentrated in the South. If you are happy with handicap racing I'd have to agree that a 200 is probably the best bet (simply going off the turnouts at the L&LSC Icicle series). There are plenty of good guys at YDSC who could advise you, "Hector" (Keith E) of this parish sails a 29er at Yorkshire Dales (but he is actually just selling it I think).

Yeh that was unfortunately true for the buzz, it was always a long trek for any races against other buzzes. I'll ask around and see if I can get a go in a 200, yeh I believe he's just sold his. Thanks for the info.
jaydub View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 17 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

There are plenty of good guys at YDSC who could advise you, "Hector" (Keith E) of this parish sails a 29er at Yorkshire Dales (but he is actually just selling it I think).
Keith E is actually a 200 sailor with a 29er to sell, but that makes him a pretty good guy to ask.  As Sam says his username is Hector on here.  Why not drop him a PM?

The advantage of the 200 over the 29er is the quality of the racing you can get without your parents having to spend weekends camped out at Weymouth, etc.  There is an active Northern Circuit circuit of 8 events with a fairly even spread of youth boats and more experienced sailors.

It really depends on what you want to achieve from your sailing and how much time and money your parents are willing to commit to.

Post Options Post Options   Quote James_Gibson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 17 at 7:41am

Keith E is actually a 200 sailor with a 29er to sell, but that makes him a pretty good guy to ask.  As Sam says his username is Hector on here.  Why not drop him a PM?
The advantage of the 200 over the 29er is the quality of the racing you can get without your parents having to spend weekends camped out at Weymouth, etc.  There is an active Northern Circuit circuit of 8 events with a fairly even spread of youth boats and more experienced sailors.
It really depends on what you want to achieve from your sailing and how much time and money your parents are willing to commit to.
[/QUOTE]

Yeh, I'll try and pm him. Well, I'm buying the boat myself so the 200 might be the better option, especially if I don't have to travel as far. Would you know who to talk to about the northern youth squads?
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 17 at 7:54am
If you fancy being the next Is Walker, then go the 420 route. If you want to handicap race, then there are probably better options. However, it will teach you all you need to know about boat tune, set up and symmetric Spinnakers.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 17 at 8:16am
The only thing about the 420 and 29er is they're pretty much squaddie boats and not much else (29er less so i think). They are expensive to get into properly and once you're in your class racing is it training events and selectors only - or at least this is how it appears, when did you last see a 420 open meeting report?

I'm sure the RYA training system is excellent, especially if you show promise and progress through the system, but the cost of travel, the boat and the time you need to put in may well take the fun out of it - sailing is something you should do because you want to not because you have to.

Edited by Paramedic - 31 Jan 17 at 8:17am
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 17 at 10:03am
Just had a quick look at Yorkshire Dales sail wave results for the autumn series, there were 6 x 200s and 2 x 29ers (one sailed by Keith's brother Ian) out of 46 boats entered (and no 420s).

Supplimentary question :- do you have a regular and equally committed crew?

Post Options Post Options   Quote James_Gibson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 17 at 11:29am
Yes, I have a committed crew. I'm thinking more towards the 200 as it is more in my price range and has more northern presence. Thanks for all the advice
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 17 at 12:39pm
The 200 seems a more versatile boat than the 29er too, not so 'skiffy' and a bit less radical so better suited to the smaller lakes many dinghy clubs sail on.

Good luck
zippyRN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 17 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Paramedic

The only thing about the 420 and 29er is they're pretty much squaddie boats and not much else (29er less so i think). They are expensive to get into properly and once you're in your class racing is it training events and selectors only - or at least this is how it appears, when did you last see a 420 open meeting report?

I'm sure the RYA training system is excellent, especially if you show promise and progress through the system, but the cost of travel, the boat and the time you need to put in may well take the fun out of it - sailing is something you should do because you want to not because you have to.

is the four-twinkie's  durability still a bit suspect  due to the french bathroom designer lack of   cross  structural bracing ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>