FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oakeley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Oinks View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oakeley
    Posted: 22 Dec 16 at 8:16pm
So 2016 takes another...

Sir John D A Oakeley.

I've just taken out his book "Winning - The Boat, The Crew & The Race"

He was a man this forum would have loved. Not just a great sailor, but an innovator too. Just looking at the picture inside the front cover of his FD "Shadow" being sailed by him and David Hunt. Possibly one of the greatest photos of a dinghy being sailed perfectly - Hunt statuesque on the trapeze, slot between genoa and main inch perfect. This man inspired me.

I will try and find a way to post that picture over the Christmas period.
fab100 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 16 at 10:20pm
IIR, there's a story in Winning,  possibly even a pic, of them planing the FD home under bare poles it had got so windy.

Edited by fab100 - 22 Dec 16 at 10:21pm
jaydub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 16 at 11:59pm
Just dug out my copy of Winning.  Bought for the princely sum of £3.  Bit of a bargain.

There's certainly a pic of them sailing the FD in winds averaging 35 knots.  A tad windy, so no great surprise that the main is flogging a bit.

Will see if I can find the story of sailing under bare poles.

The man was certainly an innovator.  I can recall him selling compensator sails under the Oakley sails badge.  And I think he may have had a hand in the bendy mast on Lionheart.
Oinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 10:01am
Read Chapter 17 about stopwatches. A whole chapter on yer stopwatch. Does anyone even think about their stopwatch these days? Only maybe when it hides itself in the darkest recesses of your kitbag and you run around in a complete blue funk cos you can't find it!
Oinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 16 at 11:10am

This was what I wanted to be when I was about 11 years old. IMHO a truly great shot of a racing dinghy, and one of the great teams.
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 17 at 11:50am
I would take "winning" out of the local library often, as a teenager. I must hunt down a copy on ebay for my collection. Pictures like the one above are great fun to look at, even if the clothes make you smirk a bit.

Was it "Winning" that had the story about painting the hull bottom with egg, and letting it dry in the sun before a race?
Oinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 17 at 11:34pm
Got mine in just about perfect condition (plus a number of other gems) for under £25 from Amazon. Three (Winning) on there now from £5.49. I also bought at the same time...Winning in One Designs (|D Perry)...Jack Knights Sail Racer..Start to Win by Eric Twiname (Original version), and (wonder if anyone remembers this)Small Sailboat Racing With the Champions by Bob Fisher (c.1975ish). All great books for a dark winter's evening in front of the fire!

And, yes, the clothes look a bit dated, but they looked better on them than what my Dad and I were resorting to at the time! That was cutting edge late 60s/early 70s!

And the weird stories of what people got up to in those days to win a race....I'd have been scraping the egg off, slapping itbetween two bits of bread with brown sauce and breakfast sorted.
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 17 at 7:38am
I bought a copy of Winning from Bookbarn for £1 just a couple of days before his death was announced. It's where most of my older sailing books have come from but it does eat up a few hours trawling through their shelves!
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 17 at 9:18am
"it does eat up a few hours" ????

I think you meant "it does mean a joyous few hours".
Dougaldog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougaldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 17 at 10:07am
Whilst 'JohnO' was a real gent in the truest use of the word, it shouldn't be overlooked that a lot of the mythology surrounding goings on in Shadow ( FD K133) was really the 'antics' of his irrepressible crew, David Hunt. David was also involved in a lot of the innovation that went on, he wasn't only in the front of the boat but he was way out front in terms of thinking!

On audio tape (and video!) I've a couple of lovely cameos of Jack Chippendale talking about the young John Oakley, getting his first all new National 12 - even then, Jack recognised him as a helm that would be 'going places'! From there of course John went on into Merlins and with 3 wins, a 2nd, a 4th and 5th place helped cement the reputation of the Proctor/Chippendale combination as the 'winning' brand.

Dougal
Dougal H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>