FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solve this Solo Mystery?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solve this Solo Mystery?
    Posted: 19 Dec 16 at 6:33pm
Got this Solo down the lake, signed by a Frank lookslike Mountifield, my recollection of Mountifield was Mike, so is this an Offspring and is he a Solo sailmaker and why would the sail be signed by him or is he a measurer,, just wondering, it was a bit of a puzzle.

GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 16 at 6:37pm
Isn't that a Batt sail?

As an aside, did you know Dick Batt's brother is Mike Batt, the Wombles man?
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 16 at 6:53pm
Er no, I really don't know anything about Solo's other than they harbour spiders and rot away in corners of boat parks, some that must have been quite nice in an antique furniture sort of way.

I knew Mountifield sails, used to sail for them for a bit back in the day, but never heard of a Frank, the assembled Solo -ists assumed that was a Mountifield sail logo and tbh it was that long ago I'd forgotten anyway, it took me a while to remember Mikes name, he became quite (in)famous for his race officering and his team which included Freddie Gale, a real character.
NickM View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 16 at 7:10pm
Ha! Yes I remember Freddy Gale back in the early 70s at HISC Contender events. A great character.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 16 at 8:16pm
Conventionally that would be a measurer's signature.
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 16 at 8:20pm
There is a Frank Mountifield associated with our sailing club (Island Barn Reservoir) as one of our trophies is named after him (I think he might have been a commodore as well). Unfortunately before my time, but maybe JimC might know.

Edit: Just saw that Jim posted before me, so maybe Jim doesn't know.

Edited by rb_stretch - 19 Dec 16 at 8:21pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 16 at 9:15pm
I did wonder if that might be the case.. a measurers signature for some event or other in 1992 so quite young in Solo years, only in its twenties, so the $64,000.00 question is Frank related to Mike, or no?
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 16 at 5:22am
Its a Batt sail and has nothing to do with Mountfield sails ?
Phil_1193 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil_1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 16 at 6:47am
I would suggest that signature isnt Mountfield.

Too many dots over what appears to be 'i's and no ld, just ends in an L
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 16 at 7:31am
Originally posted by rich96

Its a Batt sail and has nothing to do with Mountfield sails ?

+1 Batt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>