FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ABSOLUTE BEGINNER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ABSOLUTE BEGINNER
    Posted: 05 Dec 16 at 11:22pm
Silhouette MK2, maybe?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 7:14am
Where's the mast?
Did you want a new project?
mick56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mick56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 7:52am
Its that long silver thing in the first photo. Smile I "cleared the decks"as soon as i got it home,all that stuff underneath,was inside."do i want a new project" is that an offer of another one ?

Rupert.Thanks for that mate.I will look it up and see if it is.

Whats the right paint to use on the non slip deck material ?
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 8:03am
Oh yeah I see it.
What I mean is, you have been given a project.
You can buy marine non-slip, important thing to properly remove or prepare the area or it will flake off.
mick56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mick56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 8:08am
Yes i was given the boat.The owner was moving house,and had nowhere to put it,and i dont think he had time to do the work on it.The non slip stuff,cant i just paint it,rather than peel it all off and buy new.I dont intend throwing a load of money at the boat,i just want to tidy it up and sell it.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 8:35am
So long as what is on there isn't falling off, then you can sand and paint it. If it is peeling, then the issue is that you'll lose all the new paint, too. However, if one bit is peeling, you may not need to do it all, provided you don't find it all lifts as you investigate.

Almost impossible to tell how much work will be needed until you start work, but fingers crossed for an easy fettle this winter and fun in the spring.

Have you sailed before? If not, it will be worth getting some lessons! Learn in a dinghy, and you'll find sailing a small yacht like this very easy.
mick56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mick56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 9:02am
All the non slip matting is in good condition,and still glued down,but has faded in colour.I thought a coat of paint would smarten it up,and wondered what type of paint to use. Thumbs Up
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 9:07am
Ok, I understand now. I don't have an answer as to what paint would stick to the grip (first thought is that after a few months it will look worse than faded grip, and have less traction) but someone may know a way of doing it.

Worth checking, or getting checked, all the non cosmetic stuff, such as keel fixings and what she is like under the cabin floor before worrying about the paint.
mick56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mick56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 9:17am
It all looks good and solid,just needs a cosmetic make over i reckon.It sat in the blokes garden for i dont know how many years,the tow hitch & brakes were siezed anyway.I reckon there must be a rubberised, non slip paint out there somewhere,that will do the job. Thanks.  Mick.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 1:27pm
Wet rubber is slipperier than ice, most (all?) functional non slip paints are AFAIK to some degree abrasive. Any paint on top of the present non slip will reduce it's effectiveness.

I'd second the need to look under the floor before investing time and money, if it's been standing outside for several years damp will have affected the enclosed spaces and you don't want a keel falling off the first time the wind picks up  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>