FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ABSOLUTE BEGINNER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
mick56 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mick56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ABSOLUTE BEGINNER
    Posted: 07 Dec 16 at 3:07pm
"Quite the opposite. The advice on here was not to paint over the stick on non slip, so you went and bought some £25 deck paint. That doesn't sound like listening to me"
I took advise from several quarters,weighed it all up,and chose what was right for me.And I am quiete happy with it,thank you.
"It's a very important structural aspect of the boat and the signs that it's about to fail are often very difficult to spot, even for someone who is qualified to do just that!"
So not much point in that then,is there.
"As for the price, I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I wouldn't be relying on it for more than £500"
I refer you to my previous comment on the value.
"I wish you the best of luck with it, and of course offer any assistance I can give when it comes to advice."
After your original,sanctimonious comments,i am afraid your advice will not be sought.In fact,i would'nt ask you for the time of day.
laser193713 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 16 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by mick56

I asked for advice on paint,and where do you get the idea that i am ignoring it.There are other forums that have told me the paint,mixed with fine grit, is going to be good enough..If, as you say,the boat is only worth £500,why would i pay someone £200+ to come and check it out.I am not a total idiot,and even though i have no experience of boats,i consider myself smart enough to know if a keel was going to drop off.I have researched the boat,and i have seen several on sale between £1500 & £2500,so i dont expect it to sit on my drive for very long at all.You come across as one of those superior types,who cant stand the thought of an "Absolute beginner",going against the grain..There is usually at least one bloke on every forum,who thinks he knows better than everyone else,and cant wait to let the new bloke know it..I think i just met one. Wink

Quite the opposite. The advice on here was not to paint over the stick on non slip, so you went and bought some £25 deck paint. That doesn't sound like listening to me. 

You don't need to pay anyone to come and inspect it, if you ask nicely on a forum someone will come and talk through it with you, if you're really lucky they will come and take a look in person. 

As for figuring out whether a keel will fall off or not I would suggest that it isn't as simple as you might think, the forces involved when sailing are more than most would imagine. That's why you see so many boats with reinforced keel structures and keels falling off. It's a very important structural aspect of the boat and the signs that it's about to fail are often very difficult to spot, even for someone who is qualified to do just that! 

You've got me wrong. I have no thoughts of going against the grain, I don't really know what that means with regards to a refit project. However, there are right ways and wrong ways to do things and most of this is down to choosing the right product for the right job. 

As for the price, I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I wouldn't be relying on it for more than £500.

My best advice for selling it for the most profit would be to get everything you have already cleaned up. Pressure wash the whole thing. Buy a tin of bargain basement antifouling and roll that on. Varnish any woodwork. Make the trailer roll again. 

I wish you the best of luck with it, and of course offer any assistance I can give when it comes to advice. 
Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 7:41pm
ROTFLLMFAO....... Clap
mick56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mick56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 4:49pm
I asked for advice on paint,and where do you get the idea that i am ignoring it.There are other forums that have told me the paint,mixed with fine grit, is going to be good enough..If, as you say,the boat is only worth £500,why would i pay someone £200+ to come and check it out.I am not a total idiot,and even though i have no experience of boats,i consider myself smart enough to know if a keel was going to drop off.I have researched the boat,and i have seen several on sale between £1500 & £2500,so i dont expect it to sit on my drive for very long at all.You come across as one of those superior types,who cant stand the thought of an "Absolute beginner",going against the grain..There is usually at least one bloke on every forum,who thinks he knows better than everyone else,and cant wait to let the new bloke know it..I think i just met one. Wink
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by mick56

Like i said mate,i have allready looked at the structure of the boat,it just needs cosmetic work.I have found some deck paint for £25 for 2 & 1/2 ltrs.Onwards & upwards eh Wink

Like you said mate, you're an absolute beginner. I would seriously consider getting someone who knows what they are looking at to check out the structural side of things. Coming on to a forum to ask for advice and then turning it down is not really a good way of going about things. 

Painting over your non slip is a terrible idea, as has been said on here. My first move would be to give it a good pressure washing and see what falls off. If it survives that it might well be clean and look serviceable. A pressure washer is a pretty good way to test most finishes on a boat, just be wary of blasting it into bare wood. 

Listen to the advice, save your 25 quid. The boat is probably only worth £500 at most even when smart. Give it a jet wash, put some fresh antifouling on, make the trailer roll and stop and pack it all down neatly ready for someone who actually wants a boat. 

Don't be surprised if it sits on your driveway for a long time, the market at this size and age is very saturated because boats tend to last far too long. 

My biggest advice would be to listen, boats, sailing and everything else to do with this project will be a lot more complicated than you might imagine. They will also be a lot more expensive than you might have thought. Listening to advice will save you a lot of time and money. 
mick56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mick56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 2:50pm
Will do mate.Weathers not much good for painting at the moment,but i can get all the loose boards cleaned & varnished in the shed.All those little brass bits are going to need a bit of a polish too.Not looking foreward to rigging up the sails though.I got the wheels off the trailer today,Christ its a wonder they went around at all.the bearings needed a gas axe to get them off.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 2:08pm
Good luck with it, please post some pics of the results  Smile
mick56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mick56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 1:42pm
Like i said mate,i have allready looked at the structure of the boat,it just needs cosmetic work.I have found some deck paint for £25 for 2 & 1/2 ltrs.Onwards & upwards eh Wink
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 1:27pm
Wet rubber is slipperier than ice, most (all?) functional non slip paints are AFAIK to some degree abrasive. Any paint on top of the present non slip will reduce it's effectiveness.

I'd second the need to look under the floor before investing time and money, if it's been standing outside for several years damp will have affected the enclosed spaces and you don't want a keel falling off the first time the wind picks up  Wink
mick56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mick56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 16 at 9:17am
It all looks good and solid,just needs a cosmetic make over i reckon.It sat in the blokes garden for i dont know how many years,the tow hitch & brakes were siezed anyway.I reckon there must be a rubberised, non slip paint out there somewhere,that will do the job. Thanks.  Mick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>