FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monday Laser Rant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
RS400atC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monday Laser Rant
    Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 3:58pm
A pointless list of things that really annoy me about my Laser
The rudder clip doesn't hold the rudder on
You have the choice between a tiller that ejects from the rudder stock when you release the rudder downhaul, or a wobbly tiller if you put a pin in.
The self bailer is a joke
It's more of a faff to rig than most boats with 3 sails, you spend ages fiddling with bits of string to get over the control systems being a silly compromise to appease class rules.
The mast has bent a little in normal use, so it's technically out of class.
The Laser-branded bag for the foils is designed never to dry out
I need to buy a mechanical compass because the TackTick I already have isn't allowed.

Maybe it's no surprise people are buying Solutions, Solos and Supernovas?

Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 4:07pm
Yes, but everybody is exactly the same and misery shared is................ er, misery shared  Cry

Edited by Do Different - 21 Nov 16 at 4:08pm
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 4:08pm
yes, it's definitely the death knell chiming now ...

- bruce lost

- the Aero got a handicap reduction

- 63.7% of the fleet are now on XD kit

- Maclaren launched a stroller that converts into a road bike and pimped it via the LP email database

[delete as appropriate]

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 4:23pm
I don't share your pain...... but I don't sail a laser...... Actually I do share the bit about the foil bag never drying out my recently acquired Blaze has some osmosis on the rudder due to it having spent a couple of years languishing in a soggy rudder bag  Ouch

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 21 Nov 16 at 4:23pm
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

I don't share your pain...... but I don't sail a laser...... Actually I do share the bit about the foil bag never drying out my recently acquired Blaze has some osmosis on the rudder due to it having spent a couple of years languishing in a soggy rudder bag  Ouch

Pretty much any boat is like that.

I always take my foils out of the bag when I get back from sailing to let them and the bag dry out.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 9:09am
The Laser bag is so badly designed it hasn't dried out despite being indoors and left open for a couple of weeks now. The various layers of impervious fabric just stick together when wet. And stay wet. No wonder there is some rust in the foils.
My home made RS400 rudder sock works far better.

The only effort Laser have made in designing anything in the past 30 years seems to be in anti-replica stickers/engraving on various bits?
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 9:10am
There are breathable bags for foils and have been for years if you look around ....  Seems pointless to make or supply such things if they don't frankly.  Foils are very likely to be at least damp after use and all that is needed from foil bags to provide some mechanical protection.   Guess some makers don't understand the application or their selection of material is poor (but maybe the stuff sells well as it just looks/feels good to their punters !).

BTW the same is true for mast/spar bags ....   We've seen /been sent / trialed some from well 'respected' suppliers that are totally useless and these would be premium priced products as well to add insult to injury !  What can't they understand - it needs to be quick drying and BREATHE as well as providing mechanical protection.       
seasickrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seasickrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 1:20pm
To make a well padded foil bag that is breathable would cost an absolute fortune.
I always, always take my foils out of their bags when I get the boat back to the dinghy park. I also remove the undercover to make sure that the hull can dry out and so air can flow into and around the cockpit.
Seems like common sense to me....

If you don't like where you are, MOVE! You're not a tree!!
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by seasickrick

To make a well padded foil bag that is breathable would cost an absolute fortune.
I always, always take my foils out of their bags when I get the boat back to the dinghy park. I also remove the undercover to make sure that the hull can dry out and so air can flow into and around the cockpit.
Seems like common sense to me....

Strangely the one I made for the 400 out of an old sailbag and some camping mat foam works very well. The rudder blade comes out dry when I take the sleeve off, which is  after the rudder gets put back on the pintles for the next outing. Despite all this care, the blade looks as sordid as the rest of the boat, it was nearly new when we got the boat, but that was ten years ago.
You are dead right about undercovers, they should not be left on longterm as they hold water against the hull and can encourage osmosis. Particularly when the hull sits on them on the cradle.

Anyway, I have plenty to do sorting out the extra daft features added by previous owners, like the lines that are too long, the trolley, the corroding rivets that hold the tiller ext'n on....Don't people know that aluminium doesn't go well with carbon?
On the racecourse, I love the Laser, on shore, it's a wind-up.
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 2:10pm

No - not at all !!  We are not talking about drysuit stuff  !  In fact you can make something yourself for well enough nowt - out of short cord carpet that has hessian backing or similar if you are on a tight budget.  Most homes have those useless bits of 'spare' carpet from the last time the carpet fitters were in ..and you never ever use !!  .. on the other hand if fashionable appearance and a 'trending' logo from a respected 'premier' (ie 'pricey') supplier on it are to your taste well fine.  (most often despite the important fact that many are more 'style' than 'substance' when it comes to doing the right thing for your foils .. or spars by keeping them sopping wet).  As for 'drying the bag out' ... surely that is exactly not what you should NOT ever ever have to do if you've paid even a fiver for one).

And if you cannot be bothered with the DIY stuff you can even buy very functional tidy ones made from the right stuff ... and at the right price if you do a bit of research.   If is keeps your foils or spars wet .. then give it away asap or just relegate the offending item to storing spare stuff than never ever leaves that dry garage.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>