FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What dinghy? Help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dubberboy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dubberboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What dinghy? Help please
    Posted: 14 Nov 16 at 8:53pm
hi, I have just bought a caravan near us, I can get a boat to within 20 yards of the beach and would then have to drag it over some pebbles etc.  I was looking to take my wife and daughter out for a little sail, nothing wild. I have only ever sailed a hobicat on holiday apart from that I am inexperienced.
Has any kind person got any suggestions as to what sort of dinghy/boat would suit me, 
Many thanks in advance

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 16 at 9:57pm
Where is "near us"? If you are inexperienced then sailing on the sea without any safety cover may not be the most sensible thing (though be sensible and pick your conditions carefully and you may well be ok, I really don't want to discourage you from taking up what may be the best hobby on the planet). There may be other sailors around and probably a club close by that may serve better.

Anyway, if you want to have a boat that is durable to withstand some rough treatment one of the many poly boats from Topper, RS and Laser (and others) would be the best option. Just bear in mind that dragging a boat across 20 metres of shingle is bl**dy hard work (even a little one) so something like a Topaz would probably be my choice.
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 16 at 10:50pm
Perhaps a beach cat might suit your requirements.
Dart16's are safe and durable
I know where there's a couple going cheep cheep
Dubberboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dubberboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 16 at 3:26pm
I am at east mersea, essex
Dubberboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dubberboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 16 at 3:27pm
Thanks, I am at east mearsea, Essex,  
Dubberboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dubberboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 16 at 3:30pm
Beach cat ?
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 16 at 3:41pm
Beach cat implies suitable to launch from a beach like the Hobie, no dagger boards to snag and the boat mentioned is rotomoulded plastic so tough as old boots. Also easy to rig.
Gordon
Lossc
 Post Reply Post Reply