FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byte heavy helm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PaulB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byte heavy helm
    Posted: 10 Aug 16 at 7:08pm
Can anyone help ? My daughters original Byte has a very heavy helm. Sailing to windward it has massive weather helm and going downwind it is just heavy. I have checked the angle and seems okay, the blade is fully down. compared it to a laser blade and stock and is very similar angle. But stuck now on how to cure it.
I sailed if for 30min on Sunday in about 15-18mph wind and my arms hurt afterwards, I also had major issues with getting out of irons. Tia.
Phantom 949
zippyRN View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 16 at 9:07pm
you aren't  keeping the boat flat enough 

the byte like the laser  is  'under ruddered'   by some standards meaning trim and balance  is a significant part of  keepingthe boat working  and the relative lack of rudder authority  unless the boat is flat

single sailed  boats tend to be prone to  weather helm especially  though with set back masts like  the topper / laser / byte  vs. the mast forward  boats like the OK and Finn 

Edited by zippyRN - 10 Aug 16 at 9:07pm
iiiiticki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 16 at 10:21am
The C2's never stay in irons...the tight battens sort that out! This question was asked on the Byte Facebook page and no one had an answer. I don't know very much about old type rigs but Zippys answer is probably a good one. They are a narrow tippy boat and it takes practice to sail flat (this is why I no longer sail one). Even so, making your arm ache?
gordon1277 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 16 at 11:12am
Hi
Can you not adjust the rudder angle so it is more vertical or is that fixed on a byte?
Gordon
Lossc
iiiiticki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 16 at 11:47am
Just like a laser....down is down.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 16 at 2:24pm
Not a C2 then? 
In addition to the boat not flat enough, perhaps an old and baggy sail is letting the centre of effort back. 
Anecdotally, I noticed a massive in a Laser difference when moving from a very old sail to a brand spanker.

edit. typing dyslexia. massive difference in a Laser.

Edited by Do Different - 11 Aug 16 at 5:08pm
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 16 at 4:19pm
Sorry Tick but Laser down is not down its a a fecking stupid angle
If it was down it would be vertical like sensible boats.
Gordon
Lossc
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 16 at 5:10pm
More Cunningham is worth trying. When you put the kicker on, it both hardens the leech and moves the centre of effort aft. Whacking loads of Cunningham on drags cloth forwards and opens the leech. Plenty of outhaul, too will help. Then, keep flat. Don't be afraid to dump loads of main just as the gust hits, then sit out hard and pull back in what you can whilst staying flat.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 16 at 5:13pm
Should have said, this is for upwind. Downwind, dump the Cunningham or the twist in the sail will send you for a swim. Downwind, ie reaching, not running, ensure the sail is actually let out far enough. If in even a little too much, it will take over.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
iiiiticki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 16 at 11:53am
Originally posted by gordon1277

Sorry Tick but Laser down is not down its a a fecking stupid angle
If it was down it would be vertical like sensible boats.

I meant as far down as the design permits!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>