FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Youth sailing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
iiiiticki View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Youth sailing.
    Posted: 14 Jul 16 at 9:06am
Having just returned from a very successful Byte Nationals (viewing not sailing) I was very struck by the amazing performance of some of the teenagers present who were sailing under very trying conditions. The event was won by someone very close to me who is now 29 but the performance of some of the young people was creditable. Ben Ainsley won the Radial World's when he was only 17. What makes some kids so good?

Byte World's at WPNSA by the way in 2018....and the class is looking good! Mk lo
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 16 at 9:52am
What makes some kids so good?.... inherent age related fitness. Fitness means you can think clearly when working hard. When you are not fit your mental capacity falls off the cliff. 
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 16 at 10:20am
Interesting that in many fitness/power output based sports - cycling, rowing - people don't really hit their peak until their late 20s. 
iiiiticki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 16 at 10:42am
I would have thought that sailing with it's planing and strategy on top of physical ability and mechanical understanding would take time to learn but this is not always the case. The third place sailor in the Byte Nationals was only 16 and he was a bit light for the conditions on this occasion. We first met him as a 13 year old ex oppie squaddie and he was taking races from more experienced competitors even then. Is there a sailing gene? It is not that Ainsley took a World title at 17, rather that he was sufficiently developed at 13 to start his fight to the top. A friend of mine who is in his late 30's started sailing about three years ago and he was beaten by an 11 year old who was only 8 three years ago! Sailing the smaller C1 rig by the way. 
Steve411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 16 at 11:13am
Originally posted by iiiiticki

I would have thought that sailing with it's planing and strategy on top of physical ability and mechanical understanding would take time to learn but this is not always the case. The third place sailor in the Byte Nationals was only 16 and he was a bit light for the conditions on this occasion. We first met him as a 13 year old ex oppie squaddie and he was taking races from more experienced competitors even then. Is there a sailing gene? It is not that Ainsley took a World title at 17, rather that he was sufficiently developed at 13 to start his fight to the top. A friend of mine who is in his late 30's started sailing about three years ago and he was beaten by an 11 year old who was only 8 three years ago! Sailing the smaller C1 rig by the way. 

I'm a club mate of the teenager who was 3rd. A very good sailor and very, very quick downwind. One to watch.
Steve B
RS300 411

RS300 page
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 16 at 11:50am
I would think that teenagers probably get more time to practice. 
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 16 at 11:58am
Yep you can apply more time, effort and parents resource in your teens all things being equal, assuming you can keep the beer, kitesurfing and fanny at bay.
Sailing is a skills and experience game, physicality is pretty secondary really but even then a few months of conditioning at any point in one's teens will make a kid far fitter than most adults will ever be.
If you participate in any racing in the popular youth classes ie oppie topper 420 laser 29er etc you will be exposed to higher quality of one design racing than most adults will ever see. This is exacerbated by the fact that excellent coaching is so freely available in the youth classes.
Plus kids are know to fear failure less ie be more progressive in their approach to performance, which underpins higher performance.
So all things being equal, if racing at all regularly in youth classes, I would say that most kids will be the best they ever will be at 17. I would say most kids in that system can cuff their dads / mums at 13.
iiiiticki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 16 at 12:11pm
Except Steve that he is talking about joining your fleet which does not seem a good idea to me? Yes, very quick off wind. He was unlucky with the weather.
Chris 249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris 249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 16 at 12:18pm
At the risk of sounding like I'm channelling Eric Twiname (which would actually be a damn good thing) I get the strong feeling that kids tend to do well partly because they play with boats. At the top end of the hottest centreboarder fleets I've sailed in, everyone still played around, whether it was in Lasers with Ben Austin (world Youth champ) when we'd do races with everyone standing on the foredeck, to windsurfers where everyone who was good would just throw the boards around for fun.

I've tried to get adults to do that when coaching, but it's all but impossible. Even in windsurfers on a warm day, most adults tend to try to stay dry -  but probably not the winners. I get the feeling that at our national titles, if people are waiting for wind the people more likely to get wet are the winners, including the ex-Olympians, because they will be the ones playing around and still pushing their limits of their handling with freestyle tricks.

Playing with the boat teaches your subconscious the way things like heel affect helm balance, speed and handling. Add to that the structured lessons and training kids get these days and they become depressingly good depressingly early.
sailcraftblog.wordpress.com

The history and design of the racing dinghy.
iiiiticki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iiiiticki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 16 at 1:19pm
I agree with that Chris.....my 'kid' got good by riding his BMX bike off the end of the jetty....if you understand me?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>