FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slow boat in a big mixed fleet - where to start?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AlexM View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote AlexM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow boat in a big mixed fleet - where to start?
    Posted: 29 Jun 16 at 3:33pm
Drinks for the whole fleet
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 16 at 3:34pm
Seeing as you are the pointy slow boat, make the most of it by forcing boats above you to tack off, so clearing a lane for yourself. I can't see the proper low and fast working. Or start right at the stb end and tack onto port straight away, tacking back into a clear lane.

Or take a picnic and accept that 230boats, even on Ullswater, will chop the air to pieces, and relax.

The latter approach I dream of being able to master, and fail totally, even in small events, so I suspect the Birkett would drive me insane.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 16 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by AlexM

Drinks for the whole fleet

It ain't Al, but even if it was, 200 boats, £3 a drink (well you are oop-north) £600. What would you pay to win the LB?

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 16 at 8:22pm
Unless it's a really biased Port end line and or all the breeze is on the left side of the course, I think Rupert pretty much nails it, try and get out the back door from the starboard end early and clean and Port Hand it as long as you can, at least when you flack over you'll have right of way over any dithering muppets in faster boats, which you'd probably be wiser to hail to cross you rather than have them on your lee bow for a bit.
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 16 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Seeing as you are the pointy slow boat, make the most of it by forcing boats above you to tack off, so clearing a lane for yourself. I can't see the proper low and fast working. Or start right at the stb end and tack onto port straight away, tacking back into a clear lane.

Or take a picnic and accept that 230boats, even on Ullswater, will chop the air to pieces, and relax.

The latter approach I dream of being able to master, and fail totally, even in small events, so I suspect the Birkett would drive me insane.

Unfortunately if you start at the starboard end and tack on to port you'll sail into the shore
Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
Neal_g View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neal_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 16 at 10:28pm
Get left round the point into sharrow bay as quick as you can if wind is down the lake and stay middle left to the narrows
(Redoubt Sc)
Miracle 4040
GP14 13407

Crewsaver phase 2 range now available to buy online on at http://www.gibsonsails.com
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 16 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Neal_g

Get left round the point into sharrow bay as quick as you can if wind is down the lake and stay middle left to the narrows

by 'down the lake' do you mean from Glenridding?
Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 16 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Matt Jackson

Originally posted by Rupert

Unfortunately if you start at the starboard end and tack on to port you'll sail into the shore

That is a snag!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Neal_g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neal_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 16 at 6:52pm
Yes blowing from Glenridding on the left it funnels down the valley to the left of the narrows giving good pressure and a lift
(Redoubt Sc)
Miracle 4040
GP14 13407

Crewsaver phase 2 range now available to buy online on at http://www.gibsonsails.com
Ian99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 16 at 1:45pm
A graduate in clean air will be about the same speed as a 400 in dirty air, so best advice I can give is don't believe that because you're theoretically slower you need to start behind.
If it's less that about a force 3 if you manage a flat out front row start, you should be able to keep up with/ahead anything in displacement mode.
Crucial thing I have found in the Streaker in handicap racing is that you have to tack a lot up the first beat and take every opportunity for even a few seconds of clear air.
Also important is to spot the badly sailed fast boats before the start uand keep well clear. With the sails set wrong, they produce even more dirty wind, and if you're really unlucky they think they are facing you boat for boat and really slow you up.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>