FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GRP Enterprise Dinghy Floor and Tanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
SUGmeister View Drop Down
Sailwave Moderators
Sailwave Moderators

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SUGmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GRP Enterprise Dinghy Floor and Tanks
    Posted: 24 May 16 at 3:00pm
Simon SUGmeister
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 5:00pm
Dunno about you Simon, but I think the noise of a few hundred plastic balls rattling around the tanks would drive me crazy, but the cost of buying so many that they could be crammed in too tight to rattle would be prohibitive.

Edited by JimC - 24 May 16 at 5:00pm
jaydub View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 5:32pm
With you on that one, Jim.  Wacko Thumbs Down
SUGmeister View Drop Down
Sailwave Moderators
Sailwave Moderators

Post Options Post Options   Quote SUGmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 5:34pm
Think you're probably right Jim, so here's another left field idea. Presuming that you can buy lorry tyre inner tubes nowadays, put one into each side tank and soft inflate.
Simon SUGmeister
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 5:46pm
I would go for fibre glassing joint,
Drill a series of 4mm/ish diameter holes in side tanks and floor, use a depth stop on floor, the resin will then go through holes and give a good physical hold, scour existing gel coat also, will look similar to taping on Mirror.
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 7:13pm
Wine bladders are light and surprisingly durable.
And more fun to drink than all that lemonade.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 7:52pm
Add in the cost of going to to get them and you could buy another boat!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 8:12pm
Small Coke bottles would be easier to insert, blob them with Sika-flex they will bind together where they land, no rattles.
Smorgie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smorgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 10:03pm
Again, thanks for the replies.
I will be sailing on an inland lake with safety boat cover so I don't think I'll start drinking the wine just yet.  

Thanks for the tip about the front storage. I will fill it up with a hose and see if it stays full.....or disappears.

So does anyone know if they originally sealed the floor and the sealant has failed over time? 
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 10:17pm
The side tanks would have been bonded to the hull with polyester resin, but the flexing has caused the joint to fail, as the resin, while the same stuff as the plastic the hull is made from isn't the best glue in the world. However, no other glue, such as epoxy, would have worked while the GRP in the layup was still curing. The boats were built with a finite lifespan, and that they have lasted this long is amazing. In order to get them as light as the wooden boats with early GRP technology, they had to build them thin.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>