FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2017 Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2017 Rules
    Posted: 20 May 16 at 11:30am
Originally posted by fab100

Originally posted by Quagers

For me its rule 17, I've heard lots of rumours "its going to be turned off by default in Appendix D", "its going to be deleted entirely", the tension is killing me.
Seems to me that rule 17 was not devised with mixed fleets of lasers and asymmetrics in mind

Not sure many, if any, of the rules were designed for handicap racing at all. The boat lengths at a mark rule when long, fast boats and short slow ones are involved can cause issues, but proper course has to be the big one, as you say.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
GML View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 16 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by PeterG

IMHO it was much fairer in the old days when in the event of a tie discards were used as the tiebreaker.

A much better system. However, it doesn't fit with the sudden death for the cameras type approach that seems to be favoured for the Olympics these days - which is perhaps no reason why the rest of us have to put up with it.

But you don't have to put up with it, it can be changed in the Sailing Instructions for any event.
GML View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 16 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by fab100

For me its rule 17, I've heard lots of rumours "its going to be turned off by default in Appendix D", "its going to be deleted entirely", the tension is killing me.
Seems to me that rule 17 was not devised with mixed fleets of lasers and asymmetrics in mind

What exactly is it about rule 17 that you don't like and would want changed?
GML View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 16 at 1:52pm

So far as I can see from the submissions, no change to rule 17 for fleet racing, no change to rule 17 in Appendix D (i.e. for Team Racing), but it looks as if Appendix C will delete rule 17 for Match Racing.
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 16 at 3:06pm
18.3 is changed to apply only at port hand ww marks.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 16 at 5:06pm
Also, I think that the last annual meeting at which rule changes for 2017-2020 can be approved was the meeting last year in China. Barcelona this Autumn is too late for translation and printing before Jan 2017.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 16 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Presuming Ed

Also, I think that the last annual meeting at which rule changes for 2017-2020 can be approved was the meeting last year in China. Barcelona this Autumn is too late for translation and printing before Jan 2017.

Pretty much. See http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/2016RegulationsMay2016-[20737].pdf esp 28.2 on page 85. If I read it correctly the final version is supposed to have been completed on May 1st (2 weeks ago) and be sent to the NAs so they can organise translation by June 30th.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 16 at 5:36pm
Plus, having just read this morning S'butt, the RYA will have books on sale at the Southampton boat show in Sept. 
Quagers View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 16 at 9:16pm
Hmm interesting, I had it on what I thought was reliable authority that changes to 17 were on the cards, at least for team racing, from a certain well known team racing institution. In that case no idea what he was talking about.
GML View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 16 at 5:42pm
Racing Rules of Sailing 2017-2020 have now been published on the World Sailing website:

Share and enjoy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>